Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BearHawk 5 school of construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BearHawk 5 school of construction

Hello to the Board!
    I am sure learning lots of techniques of working with 2024 material. 30 nose ribs & RH /LH Model B ribs cut out. Still have a big pile of material to go through yet. Cheers all.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sir Newton; 04-15-2022, 02:51 PM.

Looking at Bearhawk parts never gets old....yours look great

Comment

Aileron ribs complete. The little parts seem like they're more work than the big parts.:p
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

How I replicated the mylar print Dwg#4 cheaply & perfectly accurate. I used a glass table with a lamp underneath to hand trace the pattern on to calligraphy paper. This type of paper comes on a roll the very same as paper for a fax machine. It great, super simple & cost effective. Make as many copies as required.:D​
        Attached Files

Comment

Neat idea. Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Newton View Post
            How I replicated the mylar print Dwg#4 cheaply & perfectly accurate. I used a glass table with a lamp underneath to hand trace the pattern on to calligraphy paper. This type of paper comes on a roll the very same as paper for a fax machine. It great, super simple & cost effective. Make as many copies as required.:D​
            I recommend your method... as i have tried duplication at drafting/printers and there is always errors...sometimes as big a quarter inch on wing pattern length ...scanner errors... printing errors..ect add up to a pattern that is not as exact as the original...

i use use a similar method of taping the pattern to sliding glass door and using sunlight to trace... but your method is better in that the pattern is flat and not stressed in any way...
            Last edited by way_up_north; 11-05-2020, 07:53 PM.

Comment

• Sir Newton
              Sir Newton commented
              Editing a comment
              I am glad that I could post something that was more then my general cheer leading posts. :-)

Careful using large sheets of paper for a pattern. There can be large seasonal dimensional changes due to variations in humidity. Over a long length it can be sizeable. That is why the wing template is drawn on vellum or mylar which is not hydroscopic.

Comment

Originally posted by spinningwrench View Post
              Careful using large sheets of paper for a pattern. There can be large seasonal dimensional changes due to variations in humidity. Over a long length it can be sizeable. That is why the wing template is drawn on vellum or mylar which is not hydroscopic.
              agree 100%...I bought some blank vellum from a local printer to make my copy....

Comment

I finally have two acceptable completed parts for my aileron.:) this is proving to be an awesome learning experience. I am really enjoying this project.:cool:
                Attached Files

Comment

Plane parts! Aileron ribs complete. :cool:I have six fails for various reasons over flanging & cracking, 1 flanging backwards, not deburring properly causing cracking! However I am feeling very good about getting some ailerons built. That 8"wide flange beam that the parts are sitting on is going to be a homemade 120" brake. Then we can look after our own braking locally and cost-effectively. It can be done! Have an awesome day 💯
                  Attached Files

Comment

RH flap ribs completed. Now I can call them parts! LH flap ribs ongoing.:cool: Ruined material blanks. Zero!

Comment

Eleven LH flap ribs ready for primer! This my way of cheerleading for myself. :rolleyes: fabrication of the brake starts to tomorrow!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looks nicely done!

Comment

Well I'm posting my weeks work I wouldn't want anybody to think that I took time off from building the bearhawk. I was building the brake I need to bend the spars. Attached are a few pictures of the 121 and 3/4 in sheet metal brake. The break turned out straight as an arrow. Took roughly 50 hours to build, I never spent any money as all the metal came from my scrap pile. It's really cool scrap pile cheers I hope you all are having a good weekend!
                          This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

• Peter Bishton
                            Peter Bishton commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sir Newton
                            Impressive work on the Brake
                            Nicely reinforced between the flanges inside the UB/RSJ
                            regards
                            Peter

Flap Spar. 3 test coupons and the 4th one was perfect. .032 with a .126 radius. I got this!
                          Last edited by Sir Newton; 12-01-2020, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X