Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BearHawk 5 school of construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just some more cheerleading from me doing my best to be encouraging to all builders. Lots of parts building going on here. 12 more right hand nose ribs to go 🍻 Everything is 100%!
    Attached Files

Comment

Stunning work, those look professionally done! And thank you for sharing your progress I'm enjoying following along.

Comment

Just some more simple cheerleading right and left nose ribs completed they are considered parts ready for paint!
        Attached Files

Comment

Sheet metal clamp order received! Should get me started?
          300- 3/32 x 0-1/4 grip,
          200 - 1/8 x 0-1/2 grip,
          50 - 1/8 x 1/2-3/4 grip,
          50 - 5/32 x 0-1/2 grip,
          50 - 5/32 x 1/2-3/4 grip,
          20 - 3/16 x 0-1/2 grip 2 pairs of celeco plyers
          Attached Files

Comment

I recommend you get a pneumatic cleco tool, after I built my RV wings I got a bad case of carpel tunnel. You will take those things in and out a million times before you are done.

Comment

Big day of folding up 2024-T3 spars. All of them are now complete. We should be able to live with a fit like this what does the judges panel think? :cool: The fit should work! Eh👍cheers to all the builders on the forum.
              Attached Files

Comment

General cheerleading myself onto completion. The center ribs are a formidable amount of work I finally got mine roughed out now I have to straightening them all. Happy holidays everyone. We Can Do It;):cool:
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello all you crazy airplane enthusiast:cool:​​​​​ Just some more cheerleading from the BH5 builder's corner. I can not believe it. I have completed forming wing ribs! Every part has been straightened. Yay beers around the house! Time to complete 450hrs. Completely encourage anyone to tackle this task.
                  Attached Files
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• rodsmith
                    rodsmith commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is great progress and looks like outstanding workmanship!

More cheerleading! Now we are on to main spar construction. Before any holes get drilled! Lay out is the 1st item on the list. May I suggest picking yourself up a drafting kit sold at most college bookstores. It makes life alot easier dimensioning Bob's blueprints. I have decided to use a metal cutting saw to cut the 0.125 x 1.25 cap stripping material. Please note that this is a high speed steel cutting saw not a regular electric circular hand saw. It makes a big difference at what speed the blade runs at this saw is giving me and extremely clean precise cut.
                  Attached Files

Comment

How did those cap strip turn out? What you can expect. Looking at the photos of the cut strips. You can see that the 1st strip that I cut off the 4'x12' sheet had some residential edge stress left in it from the T3 tempering process. The little twist in #1 strip making it unacceptable. The next 13 strips that I cut off are as straight as an arrow, well within acceptable tolerances. Final width dimensions 1.255- 1.275. & There is enough material left over from the 4x12 sheet for a second set of cap strips. Cheers to ya all!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Perfect looking ribs. You have a long way to go so make sure you have the radio on and do not take any long breaks. Breaks grow into weeks then months. It takes discipline to cross the finish lines. We hung pictures of nice looking Bearhawks and other aircraft that had features that we would like to use as a visual goal. Most important if you have a wife and/or family make sure that you still make time for them. Celebrate those MVP days and hoist an occasional beer to the milestone. (MVP=Major Visual Progress). You are off to an excellent start being able to build quality parts as it will give an amazing set of wings. I grin every time I look down our wings as they are clean smooth pieces of art that started out the same as you have. Plan, look ahead and have the materials waiting so the work flows through all its stages seamlessly. Congratulations on a great start.

Comment

• Sir Newton
                        Sir Newton commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank-you for the reply. I realize now building a plane is a fairly serious project. My goals are not to make any mistakes that will set me back or have any Do Overs. Working on spars right now. I need to decide on what primer to use before I start riveting cap strips.
                    Working...
                    X