Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BearHawk 5 school of construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really making big progress now. Spars are going to be assembled very quickly on this jig. I could not find any measurable deficiencies with is jig. The jig worked out really well. Very pleased with myself. :cool: enjoy the pictures pound up the likes. ​​
    Attached Files

Comment

Great pictures...appreciate you posting them

Comment

Good evening nothing out of the normal Just general cheerleading. Figured I would show you where I'm at on my right hand for rear spar & I moved to lightning holes that were conflicting with the pocket rib stations. Basically the two holes at either end of the aileron were moved. Inbroad holes 1.75 & outbroad 1.5
        Attached Files

Comment

• Sir Newton
          Sir Newton commented
          Editing a comment
          I double checked my interpretation / calculations of the dimensions from the drawing. I am correct. However there's interference on either end of the aileron with the aileron skin 0.020 pocket rib stations on the rear spar.
          Resulting in my decision to relocate to the lightening holes.
          Last edited by Sir Newton; 02-17-2021, 11:56 AM.

• NCLSA183
          NCLSA183 commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice Jig :)

• Sir Newton
          Sir Newton commented
          Editing a comment
          NCLSA183
          You should see me Two Step. ROTFL

When you first posted your jig, i didn't understand what you were doing. Now seeing the spar on it, it makes perfect sense. Very cool.

Comment

General cheerleading! RH main spar fit out!
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

General cheerleading! All wing spars have been fit up & are being deburred right now. As well builting a Alodine holding trough out of 6" sc40 PVC pipe. To clean & treat all the spar parts in. It took me basically 200+/- hours to fit out all 4 wing spars.
            ​​​​I very happy to be moving forward.
            This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Great progress ...thanks for posting detailed photos ... can really zoom in on the parts.. brings the plans to life

Comment

Corrosion protection & Paint Preparation of wing spars. I used 6" sc40 PVC pipe cut in half. One tank for alodine, one tank for cleaner and to wash water tanks. Over all it work ok, the end result was very good, and the procedure to work with the chemicals was safe. However alot of work to complete.

Comment

• NCLSA183
                  NCLSA183 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  All the different and unique ideas that we see from builders are amazing and entertaining.

Bearhawk 5 model B wing spar photos after being cleaned & alodine treatment applied.

Comment

Looking good Sir Newton. Love the photos. Keep them coming.
                  Gerry
                  Patrol #30

Comment

You know the saying "Paint that Gold" Right hand rear spar is back on the jig & completely reassemble ready to install RIVETS!
                    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Good day BearHawkers, Just some more cheerleading going on here. Uploaded a few pictures of my spars in various stages of riveting. I am trucking right along with the project. Ordered up all the tubing for the fuselage. Hit that like button so I know someone is actually looking at these posts! or don't.
                      This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

• way_up_north
                        way_up_north commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sir Newton... great progress...!!

• rv8bldr
                        rv8bldr commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Those look awesome. And I am incredibly envious of both the amount of space you have to work in and the real-man tools I see in the background :-)

• Sir Newton
                        Sir Newton commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank-you for the supporting comments you guys.

Greetings to my fellow builders. Just general project cheerleading here, Attached are pictures of RH main rib with all the stiffeners ready of riveting. It took roughly 30 mins per rib to fabricate, drill holes, prepare with anodyne & install the stiffeners. Slow & steady progress every week is the goal. LH ribs next week & maybe receive my rivet order from Hanson. Cheers All
                      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I have something to admit, I am addicted to building BearHawks. Picked up Patrol plans. Project #2
                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Sir Newton;

The progress you are making is astonishing to me. It took me a year to fabricate a set of ribs. Would you share some details with the group how you can go from a rib blank to a rib with ready to install while spending 30 minutes each on them?

BTW, I often think to myself "using today tools and technology, can we standardize and declare "Industry Best Practices"?" Meaning what is the best way to do a job with the least effort, having the best result in order that we can improve our (meaning Builders of Bearhawks) completion rate, and get a completed airframe out the door in less than 10 years. It looks to me like your spar and rib production is achieving that goal.
                          Brooks Cone
                          Southeast Michigan
                          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Bcone1381
                            Bcone1381 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Best Practice.....There are several folk who have written material. Russ Erb, Eric Newton, The Patrol Book, probably a score and a half of Beartracks articles. Is the Bob Stick the best practice for flanging a rib lightening hole, or wood dies in a press or a female wood die and a rubber press?

Those of you with a career of fabrication experience....you are fabricating about 2000 hours a year....20 years is 40,000 hours of experience....are I think are very well suited to guide the "Bearhawk plans built Best Practice of Fabrication" Also, as we move ahead into the digital age, the Best Practices will change. CNC routing, and 3d printing using Solid Works data will change "Best Practices" in the future I think. If we can convince Bob that his design will remain Copy Write Protected is might happen faster.

Its all about improvement of the completion rate.

• Sir Newton
                            Sir Newton commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Over the past months I have thought more about this post. Being a green BH builder I have started to noticed many ! things about the construction of every other plane I set my eyes on now. All of the designs have been borrowed from someone's past design & in some cases improved upon. It is not rocket science. I get upset when I see out right greedy people set up financial barriers to entry into aviation. The industry is rip for disruption imho. There is so much good stuff for younger ones to learn by getting involved in our hobby.

• NCLSA183
                            NCLSA183 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I can only imagine the time savings of always having the right tool for the job just a few steps away... Color me "envious". I've collected a few good tools over the years but have never been able to collect "that" much working space!! :)
                        Working...
                        X