Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BearHawk 5 school of construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Sir Newton, we have massive Canada goose formations flying around here in Seattle at pattern altitude. Plus we have hawks, ducks, crows and other flying critters. Bet you have them too. That thicker windshield could be a big plus.
    Gerry
    Patrol #30

Comment

• Sir Newton
      Sir Newton commented
      Editing a comment
      Gerald You have great what if points. As you get to know me you will find that I do not always default to the safest option.
      Helps understand the LS3 install :-)

Greetings fellow Bearhawkers
    This is an important endorsement of Bob & R&B Aircraft from a very satisfied builder. (me)
    Today I received lift struts & flap springs. Along with some very important ID tags! Simply very pleased & I felt like telling someone. The shipment was professionally packed up like a professional design the packaging.
    Cheerios to all
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Greetings, I am overwhelmly happy to announce! Ailerons complete! Trophies for the Parts wall! Whorah!
      Attached Files
      This gallery has 2 photos.
      Last edited by Sir Newton; 05-03-2022, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• Frank
        Frank commented
        Editing a comment
        As an LSA builder we nevertheless inhabit the same gene pool. So I have to ask about gusset and trailing edge flanges. One reason would be to disguise gusset edges. But maybe it's more esthetic to feature the edges? Though now I zoom in it looks like the edges are somewhat rolled? Cleveland edge forming tool? Sorry to be a pain but I am just approaching that step now!
        Last edited by Frank; 05-02-2022, 06:31 PM.

• Sir Newton
        Sir Newton commented
        Editing a comment
        100% we are of the same tribe. I added pictures of the tooling used. It is a bead roller with a 5/16 radius die set. I tipped every edge so the fabric wouldn't have an edge to rub against. The edges have a more finished look. I did the same on all the exposed edges on my wing skins as well :-)

Good Day follow BH builders, I read everything I could find on internal corrosion protection of 4030 tubing. It is encouraged in AC43 to use boiled Linseed Oil. After a review of the ALL the products I could find including long term engine preservation oils. IMHO, In the case of 4130 tubing. Linseed is still the best choice at $10 a liter. I plan to inject any part that I can with it. Bell cranks got a few drops & then I sealed the hole with weld. It does not take much oil. The oil naturally spreads and crawls its way around everything. I simply tested it by dipping some linseed oil on the fab table. Within a day it spread like a fugus over the table. I see why the old generation chose to use it. Anyways.. I can ramble on about details. After fabricating these tiny little bell cranks, I realized that these little parts are fairly challenging to fab & weld. Needing something to take pictures of & post, I included pictures of a simple jig I designed to get the job done quickly & accurately. Be sure to use backers in all the bushings during welding. The backers are not just heat sinks! There purpose is to simply take up the space so air has a more difficult time getting into contact with the interior surface of the bushings during welding. Alrighty time to get back to work. PM's are open for anyone who requires a more detailed explanation of my ramblings. Cheers ta all
      Attached Files

Comment

• Sir Newton
        Sir Newton commented
        Editing a comment
        The odd picture out is the weight of my completed Aileron on the scale 11 lbs 4.3 Oz No fabric.
        Last edited by Sir Newton; 04-10-2022, 06:01 PM.

Oh almost forgot, this is actually beneficial information if you read my ramblings about BH. In the attached photo DWG 11B. There is a measurement circled in RED! At 1st glance a fabulous BH fabricating warrior may see 3"7/16 When in the real BH fabricating world this measurement is 3"1/16. Pay Attention! It freaking matters! Thank me later :-)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Sir Newton; 04-11-2022, 06:48 AM.

Comment

• way_up_north
        way_up_north commented
        Editing a comment
        I was taking a close look at this spot on my plans… on mine there is spot at the top of the one.. but much lighter… on my plans it looks like a “1” and not a “7”

If my plans looked like yours I would have seen a “7”…. Thank you for bringing to our attention

Originally posted by Sir Newton View Post
      Good Day follow BH builders, I read everything I could find on internal corrosion protection of 4030 tubing. It is encouraged in AC43 to use boiled Linseed Oil. After a review of the ALL the products I could find including long term engine preservation oils. IMHO, In the case of 4130 tubing. Linseed is still the best choice at $10 a liter. I plan to inject any part that I can with it. Bell cranks got a few drops & then I sealed the hole with weld. It does not take much oil. The oil naturally spreads and crawls its way around everything. I simply tested it by dipping some linseed oil on the fab table. Within a day it spread like a fugus over the table. I see why the old generation chose to use it. Anyways.. I can ramble on about details. After fabricating these tiny little bell cranks, I realized that these little parts are fairly challenging to fab & weld. Needing something to take pictures of & post, I included pictures of a simple jig I designed to get the job done quickly & accurately. Be sure to use backers in all the bushings during welding. The backers are not just heat sinks! There purpose is to simply take up the space so air has a more difficult time getting into contact with the interior surface of the bushings during welding. Alrighty time to get back to work. PM's are open for anyone who requires a more detailed explanation of my ramblings. Cheers ta all
      Your post reminds me of what my grandfather taught me… while watching him wind up an old clock… I asked him what was the cotton balls in a small tray on the bottom of the clock for

he explained that you put oil on the cotton balls… close the door to the clock… the oil slowly atomizes over time and coats all the gears in the clock..

I appreciate the time and effort you put in to post online.. I’ll be following your fuselage construction with great interest

Comment

Im enjoying watching your progress. You do some nice work! I cant wait to get in my shop amd make some parts!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Newton View Post
          Oh almost forgot, this is actually beneficial information if you read my ramblings about BH. In the attached photo DWG 11B. There is a measurement circled in RED! At 1st glance a fabulous BH fabricating warrior may see 3"7/16 When in the real BH fabricating world this measurement is 3"1/16. Pay Attention! It freaking matters! Thank me later :-)
          Yes, I'm enjoying to what I can glean before building. The answer might be obvious for some... but would you please elaborate on the "7" vs a "1" ? Just vertically down there's another one.
          Last edited by triumphantduke; 04-11-2022, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• Sir Newton
            Sir Newton commented
            Editing a comment
            3"7/16 is a type O & is wrong. At the very least it is poor penmanship. 3"1/16 is the correct distance for the arc required to stroke the aileron.
            Last edited by Sir Newton; 04-11-2022, 09:01 AM.

• triumphantduke
            triumphantduke commented
            Editing a comment
            ah okay, thank you. I was scratching my head thinking I might need to re-review fonts for GD&T.

Hola fellow BearHawkers, Happy to report & post pictures in what is turning out to be a serious education in aircraft riveting. YES I said riveting. Myself & my partner in life (wife) are growing closer in understanding one & other because of this task in the rabbit hole of building a plane :-) Combined time of 29hrs to date, we have progressed fairly well imho. We have riveted RH under side of all the nose ribs & have started down the topside of the nose ribs forward of the main spar. Riveting this area is BUCKETS of fun! oh you just wait & see. I have included a few pictures for the lookie loos that enjoy the visual experience. Well.. if you have made it this far in my echo chamber of a post. I have some heart felt advice for ya. While building your scratch built nose ribs keep in mind that you have to get around the lighten hole flanging with a bucking bar! Over flanging will require you to be able to build custom bucking bars. Nothing to be afraid of, just prepared for is all. I have noticed the depth of flanging on the factory kit ribs with greater understanding now. Other then that Pound Your Rivets with Pride... on that note. adios
          Attached Files

Comment

• Frank
            Frank commented
            Editing a comment
            That's pretty cool, kimosabe!

• Awesome! Keep it up!

Comment

• Greetings, Long time no posting. Did I ever get distracted from posting. I am still working on the BH5 at least 5-15 hrs per week. However I am sharing a picture of my distraction. I got a little drinkie with some of the older pilots on the airfield. & by the end of the evening I bought a Mustang 2 ... lol, Anyways, Now I am flying around in the solution to my next mid life crisis. Rotflol.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Fellow builders, I have had a very exciting spring & summer this year. The BH5 project has not taken the back seat completely. I am sure to schedule time every week to get something completed. This helps me stay current on the project. Both my wings are out of the riveting jig now. All the linkages & ail/flap hinges have been fit up. Now I am ready to final fit flaps & ailerons to the wings. Make any adjustments that may need to be made. So the wings & control surfaces look professionally biult & fit.
              If anyone is planning Abbotsford Airshow 2022 & would like to meet up. I will be on site for the weekend. Cheers to all. May all your winds be tailwinds.
              This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• rodsmith
                rodsmith commented
                Editing a comment
                Great looking wings

• way_up_north
                way_up_north commented
                Editing a comment
                tis a thing of beauty

• Fantastic progress !
              Nev Bailey
              Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
              YouTube - Build and flying channel
              Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• Good day! to the good members of the Bearhawk community. Allow me to post a product review for Carbon Concepts mobel B wing tips. I recieved my wing tips in good order. The fit & finish on the workmanship is 100% The tips come all trimmed up in light grey primer ready to be installed. The trailing edge of the tip is left open to allow a prefect fit to the wing. I happened to have a wing up on fab stands for a quick test fit. The fit is 100% imho. Have a look at the attached photos.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Sir Newton; 11-14-2022, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• Nice! Do they add 18 inches per side?

Comment

• Sir Newton
                    Sir Newton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes they do. All off 18"
                    My photos do not do them justice.
                Working...
                X