Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wing Dimesions for Rotisserie and Wall Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing Dimesions for Rotisserie and Wall Storage

I am preparing my single-car garage (11 x 17) for the arrival of my QB Companion kit sometime in May/June. I am planning to put one wing in a rotisserie with the other wing hanging on the wall. The fuselage will be stored off-site. I need to know the length and width of the wing, as well as the dimensions of the metal shipping crate. Also, I need a simple but solid way to mount the structure of the wing to the rotisserie. Any information, photographs, and advice is greatly appreciated.

Check your plans. They have the dimensions of your wings. Add approximately 6 inches on each side for the crate dimensions. Here are a few photos and a video of what I did for my wing rotisserie. I did end up taking the sprocket off the rotisserie and putting on a brake disc like on my fuselage rotisserie as it was much easier to manipulate. Hope this helps.

homebuilt aircraft, builders log, experimental, experimental aircraft, 51% rule, fifty-one percent rule, 51% percent rule, aircraft homebuilt kit, aircraft homebuilt plan, aircraft composite homebuilt, aircraft experimental homebuilt, aircraft experimental kit

homebuilt aircraft, builders log, experimental, experimental aircraft, 51% rule, fifty-one percent rule, 51% percent rule, aircraft homebuilt kit, aircraft homebuilt plan, aircraft composite homebuilt, aircraft experimental homebuilt, aircraft experimental kit

Comment

• BrokenStraw
      BrokenStraw commented
      Editing a comment
      Paul, thanks for the video and builder's logs. I like the simplicity of your design. Since I do not weld, I will look into getting a local welder to replicate your wing rotators.

I'd add to Paul's input to say that the wings ride in the crate without ailerons or flaps, so be sure to account for that in your planning.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I wish that I could weld and fabricate like Paul. I’ll have to settle for a carpenter’s solution with wood. Looks like the wing spar is 14.5 ft without tips, and the wings with flaps and ailerons will be close to 6 ft. It’s going to be a tight fit.

Comment

I just took my wings out of storage and put them in “my” hanger today, I can get your the measurements tomorrow for the crates and the wings if you need
        N678C
        https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
        Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

• BrokenStraw
          BrokenStraw commented
          Editing a comment
          That would be helpful. Thank you.

• BrokenStraw
          BrokenStraw commented
          Editing a comment
          Jay, did you use a wing rotator? If so, do you have photographs showing how the wing ends attached to the stands?

I don’t know what your budget is, but you can also buy a wing rotator of similar design from this company: https://bogertaviation.com/products/...rd-with-wheels

The cost was a major factor in my decision to make my own. Their price is pretty fair considering the time it takes to fabricate stuff,. But shipping anything to AK is usually very expensive and is a huge factor for me when I buy anything. One thing is for sure you won’t regret getting or building something that works well regardless what it’s made of, especially when it comes to painting. It sure keeps the frustration level down for me.

Comment

• BrokenStraw
          BrokenStraw commented
          Editing a comment
          I took your advice, along with pictures of your rotisserie, to a local fabricating shop where a friend of mine agreed to build a metal stands for me. It will be much better than the wooden stands that I was building. At least I used screws instead of nails.

• alaskabearhawk
          alaskabearhawk commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds good. They shouldn't have any problems, but if you need any measurements let me know.

• BrokenStraw
          BrokenStraw commented
          Editing a comment
          Measurements would be greatly appreciated.

Here ya go

Crate
        15 x 58 1/2 x 179”

Wing
        9 1/4 x 51 x 172”​

I am not going to use a rotisserie, so no help there
        N678C
        https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
        Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

• BrokenStraw
          BrokenStraw commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Jay. That is just what I was looking for. Every inch matters in my confined space.

To attach the wings to the rotisserie, I used the parts from the crate. My wings were suspended in the crate from the ends, and I used those attachments for the rotisserie's as well.

Comment

• BrokenStraw
          BrokenStraw commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a great idea. Do you have any photos?

• svyolo
          svyolo commented
          Editing a comment
          not handy. maybe a week or 2. I am away for the winter

Its been a number of years since I uncrated my wings and will install them onto my Rotisserie in a few months for paint. Would you do me a big favor and upload a photo of how the wings are attached to the crate so I can duplicate this on my rotisserie?
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

I made a short video about the material measurements for the wing rotisserie. I had given the rotisserie to a mechanic friend that had been helping me off and on during the project and it was stored disassembled in his hangar in an upstairs loft. That's why it's taken apart and in a pile on the floor. Like I said in the video most of the materials I used was scrap that I had around the shop. Modify the basic design as you wish to suit whatever materials you have. This video is unlisted and you won't find it on my channel, but it's not private. Anyone that has the YouTube link can watch it. Not great quality, but it wasn't intended as such...just the nitty-gritty.

I hope it's enough info to have your friend build it. If not, let me know and I can get more measurements if needed.

Comment

• BrokenStraw
            BrokenStraw commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Paul. This is very helpful.

Here's some photos of how I attached my wings to the rotisserie I built from wing crate material (inspired by the photos in the builder's manual).
          Root end: following the crate design, I used one 10-32 machine screw through the hole at the end of each spar. The MDF plates act as anti-rotation devices, to keep the rotisserie bracket from pivoting around the machine screw. Also shown is the indexing plate and bolt that is used to lock the rotisserie at pre-determined angles.
          filedata/fetch?id=82533&d=1681427491&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=82534&d=1681427486&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=82535&d=1681427487&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=82536&d=1681427486&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=82537&d=1681427491&type=thumb

Tip end: I used the steel brackets and plywood plates that secured the wing to the crate, except for the narrow plywood strips on the inner face of the tip rib that got replaced with bits of 2x4 for strength.
          filedata/fetch?id=82538&d=1681427646&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=82539&d=1681427648&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=82540&d=1681427646&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=82541&d=1681427650&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=82542&d=1681427649&type=thumb

PS: Yeah, my MIG welds are horrid slobber jobs. I'm not gonna be doing that anywhere on the airframe!!
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 10 photos.
          Last edited by Dpearson; 04-13-2023, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• BrokenStraw
            BrokenStraw commented
            Editing a comment
            This is exactly what I needed to visualize. Thanks for posting.

• svyolo
            svyolo commented
            Editing a comment
            That is almost exactly what I did. Including the attachments to the wings. I used 100% scrap from the wing crates. Wood can also be used if you can't weld. I wish I had used the tennis balls. I have several scars to demonstrate my lack of attention to detail!!!!!

• alaskabearhawk
            alaskabearhawk commented
            Editing a comment
            The MDF plate on the root end is a great idea!

Originally posted by Bcone1381 View Post
          Its been a number of years since I uncrated my wings and will install them onto my Rotisserie in a few months for paint. Would you do me a big favor and upload a photo of how the wings are attached to the crate so I can duplicate this on my rotisserie?
          Please upload a photo of the factory crate that shows how the wing attaches to the crate. I might have the hardware......are they iron bar with 90 degree bend...about 1/4" thick and 2" wide? Do they attach/sandwich to the ribs via plywood? what is the Plywood thickness?
          Last edited by Bcone1381; 04-14-2023, 10:13 AM.
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Hey Brokenstraw, my brother used to be a welder full time, now he does handy man type stuff. He might be able to set you up with something that will work for you for less than a welding shop would charge you. He is in Sugar Grove and mostly works in the Jamestown area. PM me if you are interested
            Rollie VanDorn
            Findlay, OH
            Patrol Quick Build

Comment

• BrokenStraw
              BrokenStraw commented
              Editing a comment
              Rollie, thanks for the offer, but I already recruited a friend to build the stand. Good to know that your brother is nearby.

Hey Brooks,
            On my A-model the brackets that attached the outboard end of the wing to the crate are all 1/4 thick and roughly 2" wide. The one at the main spar is T-shaped (welded), and the one at the rear spar has a 90 degree bend. The plywood that sandwiched the ribs is roughly 3/4 inch. There were plywood strips used inside the wing that sandwiched the rib in front of and behind the main spar. Those strips seemed too flimsy so I replaced them with pieces of 2x4. The plywood parts on the outboard side of the ribs were nicely finished around the edges to clear rivet locations and the lightening hole flanges. I was glad to reuse the brackets and plywood from Avipro! Here is detail of the wood blocking and the brackets:

Front:
            IMG_1512.jpgIMG_1513.jpgIMG_1514.jpgIMG_1519.jpgIMG_1521.jpg

Rear:

IMG_1515.jpgIMG_1516.jpgIMG_1517.jpg

There were 1/4 tabs welded to uprights in the crate that bolted to the L and T brackets that in turn bolted to the wood which sandwiched the tip rib. I decided to re-use those tabs (Which were drilled to match the L/T brackets) so I cut the tabs away from the crate and welded them to the ends of the rotisserie arm. Here's where those tabs were attached one of my crates (which became a table):
            IMG_1510.jpg

I retained both sets of L and T brackets and leave one set on each wing with all the plywood, etc. in place on the tip rib. It makes swapping wings in and out of the rotisserie a bit easier. Here's my other wing sitting on the table waiting for its turn on the rotisserie:
            IMG_1522.jpg
            Last edited by Dpearson; 04-14-2023, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• Bcone1381
              Bcone1381 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thats excatly what I was looing for! Thanks so much for taking the time to share these!!

• Dpearson
              Dpearson commented
              Editing a comment
              Bcone1381 Happy to help!

• BrokenStraw
              BrokenStraw commented
              Editing a comment
              Perfect. Thanks for sharing.
          Working...
          X