Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BH Wanna Be Building from Grand Junction, CO (KGJT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BH Wanna Be Building from Grand Junction, CO (KGJT)

Hello Bearhawkers....I figured I better come out of the lurking and start saying hello! I am currently not building or flying a BH but I'm getting close to making the decision. I currently own and fly a Cessna R172K Hawk XP out of Grand Junction, CO. Long story short.....an experimental is my goal as I'm tired of the nickel and dime routine of owning a certified AC. Love my Hawk XP but want to expand my flying to more backcountry strips and do what I want to my plane (safely of course!) without needing to pay $$ for a signature. I have looked extensively at a few kitplanes planes and keep coming back to the Bearhawk 4-place as one that meets my mission. The Sportsman 2+2 is a great plane but very expensive to build and seems just a little small; RV's are wonderful planes and lots of builders but the RV-10 is also pretty expensive and does not meet my mission very well. I've looked at the Kitfox for years but I think I'll miss the power of my XP. I want to be able to build the kit on my own (no other owners) and the RV and Sportsman would require me to have a partner. My plan is to keep my Hawk XP while I'm building so I can continue to fly...once the BH is complete, I would sell the Hawk.

I am open to buying a kit that someone has started (or not started) if the right one comes along. If not, I'll more than likely buy the newest Model -B QB Kit as I hope to get going this summer. I have summers off (I teach at a University) so I can spend a lot of time in the summer building. If you know if anyone who is "stalled out" on their kit...send them my way! Once I get going, I'm sure I'll be tapping the knowledge of this group (and I'll contribute too!).

Anyhow...hello everyone!

Kyle Stone
    970-488-0057

Welcome! As another option, there are a number of flying BHs on Barnstormers right now. If you’d like some instant gratification, there are a couple of options out there.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• kbstone13
      kbstone13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Chris...thanks for the welcome...and yes...I browse Barnstormers regularly and review the ones for sale often. Nothing against other builders but I want to build my own! I want to earn my repairman's certificate and can't do that buying someone else's plane.

• Chris In Milwaukee
      Chris In Milwaukee commented
      Editing a comment
      Of course . Good luck with your decision!

Kyle,
    I was in your shoes last spring and after doing all the research, I bought a kit without ever having seen one, much less ridden in one. I finally got to ride in one last month and it was exactly what I envisioned....and much more! I started out needing a 4 place as my 2 place experimental isn't cutting it for a wife and son and me. I wasn't overly interested in building, but it was a way to only have to buy half a plane (by putting off the engine buy until later.) I've got a couple hundred hours into the build right now and I'm addicted to it. I wasn't expecting to love the build as much as I am. The kits are very well made and it's coming together very nicely. I think you'll find if you chose a Bearhawk you'll be glad you did. The guys on the forum are very helpful too! Best of luck.
    Brad

Comment

• kbstone13
      kbstone13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Brad...thanks for the welcome and info on your journey.

What Brad said, except I haven't even had a ride yet. My kit gets delivered in 2 months. Kyle, I looked at (and probably a bunch of others did) the same stuff you did. Nothing else got me excited enough to even think about writing a check. I found a decent unstarted 5 year BH old kit and rebuilt engine. It was an OK deal. But I passed and order a new kit from Mark. The older kit probably was fine, but the small savings didn't seem worth it. I figured the new kits are more refined, and will probably save me time and money over an older version. I have spent the last 4 months trying to figure out what I wanted, so I don't spend 2 years scratching my head, when I should be building. And trying to know, what I don't know. I think I am just about there.

Good luck with your decisions.

John

Comment

• kbstone13
      kbstone13 commented
      Editing a comment
      John...thanks for the welcome and I too have looked at a few kits and the unknowns (aka risk) with buying someone else’s kit. The savings seem to be a few $1k which isn’t that much considering a new kit w/ lower risk.

Hi Kyle. Welcome to the Forum. Your thoughts on what to build seem to be well considered. None of the more expensive airplane options are as good a flying plane nor as useful plane as a Bearhawk. If you would like to talk about a new kit versus an older kit - you are welcome to call. 512/626-7886. Mark

Comment

• kbstone13
      kbstone13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mark...I will give you a call soon to talk about options and lead times. My hope is to start building this summer!

Hi Kyle, I'm 70 miles south of you in Crawford. I have quick build wings and plans built fuselage. Your welcome to fly down any time to see my project if interested. I'm on the Crawford airport 99V. If I was in a market for a kit at this point I would buy new to get the B model unless I found a screaming deal on an earlier kit. Good luck with whatever decision you make, you will absolutely love the Bearhawk.

Comment

• kbstone13
      kbstone13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Rodsmith....thanks for the invite....I would love to take you up on the visit. I fly to AJZ and MTJ all the time. I have flow to 99V a number of times for check rides w/ Lynn. Whats the best way to contact you? Feel free to text or call me @ 970-488-0057 and we'll coordinate a time to visit.
Working...
X