Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member DFW area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member DFW area

Hi all. I’m in DFW area and wondering if many builders or owners around here. I fly a C182 out of Denton and I’m getting or have had the building bug for awhile. Really like the looks and performance of Bearhawk and comparing with several others like the RANS 7 or 21, Kitfox,Cubs, etc. anybody around here I could meet up with and see. One question I have is around two doors. I’m kind of partial to having two and I see some it looks have done that.

Anyway enjoying reading this forum and learning.

Thanks

Welcome aboard! Take a look at the builder map by clicking the tab above. It appears that there are several builders nearby.

As for the two doors request, are you describing the Patrol? If so, there are a couple here that are building with double doors. I’m sure they’ll speak up.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Mr TFoster100 - if you are interested in building from our kit I am glad to help. My cell is 512/626-7886. Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark. Will do. Just watched the YouTube of the factory tour - that’s great to see how the kit and parts come together. Definitely planning on starting a kit after first of year. I’m studying your kit as well as Rans and Kitfox. So far I really like idea of the quick build kit and the quality and positive reviews you get from builders is impressive.

Comment

When comparing the KitFox and Rans to the Bearhawk (all three models), I personally don't think there's any comparison. I guess it depends on what you are wanting to fly. The Bearhawk line are "real" airplanes and out performs every similar certified built airplane next to it. The designer, Bob Barrows, built the prototype 4 place to replace a Cessna 170 he was flying. It did, and more. I wouldn't know what to compare the Kitfox and Rans to, or what one of them would or could out perform.
          Rob Caldwell
          Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
          EAA Chapter 309
          Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
          YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
          1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

I'm building a Patrol at my home in Farmersville. That's not too far from Denton, if you want to come see what the kit looks like. PM me if you want to visit, and we'll work out a time.

The Patrol I'm building (from Mark Goldberg's "Quick Build" kit) has doors on both sides. There is a very reasonable up-charge for the factory to make the changes to the QB kit. While I have no plans to fly my Patrol on floats, I really like the option of flying with both windows open here in our lovely DFW heat!

I originally thought it would be cool to scratch-build. I started to re-think that idea after looking at the plans and seeing how much complex welding would be required. I took a couple of welding classes, and though the instructor said "Yeah, I'd fly with those welds," they didn't look anywhere near good enough to me... Then I got a look at the welds the factory guys in Mexico do... Absolutely beautiful beads on every single weld. I made a rough estimate of how long it would take me to weld up the fuselage – not counting any "re-work" to fix my errors – and then looked at what Mark charges for the QB fuselage. Based on my analysis, it seemed like a real bargain on cost, and a real enhancement in terms of safety and trusting the welds. The fact that it comes to you primed and ready to go is just icing on the cake. Highly recommended!

The QB wing kit is still sitting in the crate in my garage. I hoped to have that unpacked this summer, but life got in the way (plantar fasciitis, followed by a torn rotator cuff – both make it impossible to do much kit building).
            Jim Parker
            Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
            RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Thanks Jim I may do that. Would like to see the kit. I did my PPL check ride over past you at Greenville and working on my IFR and will do check ride there again. I remember flying over your airport several times.

And agree on the the reason for double doors. It’s just so hot here in summer and seems nice on the ramp to have that option with windows open until you take off.

Comment

I live just south of Denton between 35w and 377 in argyle. I have been building a 4 place and you are welcome to come and take a look. there is not to much to look at but I have the ribs and have been working on the spars. also have the tail ribs now as well. my other aircraft that I built is at denton as well.
                I am also working on a skybolt as well.
                pm if interested in meeting up.
                and if your interested in going to see marks project maybe we could go together.
                thanks james

Comment

Thanks James. Will do. Would love to sit in one and get the feel of it before I order.

Comment

Working...
                  X