Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to building! Hello from Florida!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to building! Hello from Florida!

Hello from the panhandle!

After flying gliders for a number of years behind supercubs to eventually being a CFI-G and a tow pilot and then flying PC-12s as a normal part of my job I got pretty into dirtstrips. Flew 170s and 180s and was never really satisfied with certified aircraft that would get me there faster and empty a months worth of paycheck. Looked for everything from midget mustangs to RV's and finally settled on the idea of the bearhawk that could get me somewhere at a speed faster than our familys champ, carry more and still land on our ~1500' strip. I have some handyman experience (I am also an aeronautical engineer) and love Bob's mentality when it came to the design, especially with the updates in the B model.

I'm kinda diving in head first and my heart says build but the engineer in me says ask questions. Are there digital copies of the plans and is there anyone near the panhandle that flies one? Still haven't been afforded the opportunity to get in one yet.

Thanks!
    Stephen

Originally posted by StephenK View Post
    I have some handyman experience (I am also an aeronautical engineer) and love Bob's mentality when it came to the design, especially with the updates in the B model.
    seems like a lot of aeronautical engineers are, ... humble and rounded... welcome! and digital plans are not available, but there are a good number of owners and builders that will welcome your skill set.

Comment

Welcome from a fellow nerd (ME here). I say listen to your heart and jump in. After the kit has arrived and your committed let the engineer take over.

There are no official digital plans available. I know digital plans are more effecient but I’ve always enjoyed looking at old school paper drawings. I really enjoyed building a classic airplane using classic methods; it’s part of the Bearhawk experience.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Hello Stephen. Welcome to the forum. You have settled on the best plane for sure. If your intention is to build from our kit, I am glad to help. N95MF@hotmail.com
        Mark

Comment

There is a 4-Place Bearhawk over in Jacksonville that belongs to Steve, but he's not active on the message board. mswain might be able to help you get in touch. Joe Lisanke has one that is complete but not yet flying as far as I know, and it is at Gainesville. You'd be welcome to come visit us in NC, and travelling to Bob's fly-in 2 weeks from now in Virginia is something to consider. It's a ways up there, but it's a great time of year to visit.

Comment

Working...
          X