Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Bearhawk 4-place builder in Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bearhawk 4-place builder in Maryland

Hi All, I've been lurking on and off for several years as I mulled over the decision and timing to start a build. I actually ordered Russ Erb's CDs and Eric's build manuals back in 2016 to fuel the dream. In the meantime I've gotten married to my wonderful and supportive wife, moved and consolidated our lives in Mayland, and finished up my private pilot certificate last year.

Yesterday I made my start official and will be obtaining Dallas Shell's wing materials kit. I spoke with him a couple times yesterday and it was a pleasure, he is a wealth of knowledge, friendly and truly enthusiastic about this hobby! After committing to purchase the wing materials that meant plans were in order so a call to Bob spoke with him a bit and mailed off my check to him today. I'm off!

The wing materials kit and completed parts are based around the original wing design and not the new b-model which is a little bit of a bummer, but I deem the value in all that's included with the kit to out way my desire for a b-model wing. That said after speaking with Bob a little I do intend to incorporate most of the other b-model changes into my build as it progresses. Right now I expect for it to be a hybrid build doing a lot of work from scratch but when and where it makes since leveraging Avipro, for example their pre-notched tubing kit when the time comes.

If there are other builders/owners in the Washington DC area I love to hook up and see your projects and learn more about the building process.

Looking forward to joining this community!

Joe

Joe
    Gaithersburg, MD
    EAA Chapter 524
    Cherokee Driver
    Bearhawk 4-Place Builder #1582

Welcome, Joe!
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by robcaldwell View Post
      Welcome, Joe!
      Thanks Rob!
      Joe
      Gaithersburg, MD
      EAA Chapter 524
      Cherokee Driver

Comment

Welcome, Joe! Don't fret about having the original wing, I'm a pretty big fan of the 4412 planform and quite like how the original BH flies. Though I look forward to trying out the Bravo sometime. Adding the other Bravo improvements is a great idea. I'm really liking the profiled tail and am really happy with the stinger tail spring. I bought a bunch of stuff from Bearhawk Aircraft to speed up my build and I'm sure glad I did.

Anyways, good luck with the build.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Welcome Joe and congrats on your decision!

I just spoke to Dallas myself today and I'm jealous you get to meet him in person.
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
            Welcome, Joe! Don't fret about having the original wing, I'm a pretty big fan of the 4412 planform and quite like how the original BH flies. Though I look forward to trying out the Bravo sometime. Adding the other Bravo improvements is a great idea. I'm really liking the profiled tail and am really happy with the stinger tail spring. I bought a bunch of stuff from Bearhawk Aircraft to speed up my build and I'm sure glad I did.

Anyways, good luck with the build.
            Fear not there is no fretting on my part, only excitement. Appreciate the confirmation on including the other b-model mods.

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
            Welcome Joe and congrats on your decision!

I just spoke to Dallas myself today and I'm jealous you get to meet him in person.
            Dallas seams great and really well connected within the Bearhawk building community. I plan to keep in touch with him as long as he'll put up with me, he seemed interested in hearing about how my build progresses. He shared a bit about the 4 fuselages he help jig and build and gave me the lowdown on what happened to each. It turns out that his fuselage which was sold to a builder who lives about 40 min away from me. I'm not sure if he is active here on the forums but I hope to look him up and get in touch.

Right now plan is to meet him on 2/1 to pickup with wing materials. I'm looking forward to that trip for many reasons!
            Joe
            Gaithersburg, MD
            EAA Chapter 524
            Cherokee Driver

Comment

Originally posted by jsuhre View Post

Fear not there is no fretting on my part, only excitement. Appreciate the confirmation on including the other b-model mods.

Dallas seams great and really well connected within the Bearhawk building community. I plan to keep in touch with him as long as he'll put up with me, he seemed interested in hearing about how my build progresses. He shared a bit about the 4 fuselages he help jig and build and gave me the lowdown on what happened to each. It turns out that his fuselage which was sold to a builder who lives about 40 min away from me. I'm not sure if he is active here on the forums but I hope to look him up and get in touch.

Right now plan is to meet him on 2/1 to pickup with wing materials. I'm looking forward to that trip for many reasons!
              If you get to meet his build buddy Dan Riffee, there will be tales to tell . He and Bob have known each other forever. He knows a lot about the BH.
              Christopher Owens
              Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
              Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
              Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Chris In Milwaukee View Post

If you get to meet his build buddy Dan Riffee, there will be tales to tell . He and Bob have known each other forever. He knows a lot about the BH.
                Funny enough, I was searching for Bearhawk info over on the HBA forums and came across his threads about building these fuselages and other parts. I'm going to send him a message to see if he's free when I go to pick up so I can say hello and hear some tales!
                Joe
                Gaithersburg, MD
                EAA Chapter 524
                Cherokee Driver

Comment

Working...
                X