Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello All from Long Island, NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello All from Long Island, NY

Hi All,

I've began to fall in love with the Bearhawk fairly quickly as im sure most of you all had also. I'm a Stearman pilot on Eastern Long Island and have been flying for 10 years. My grandfather, a WWII vet, and stud of a pilot, taught me how to fly as well as the basics of building. He finished restoring the Stearman in 1996 and though I was only 11 at the time, remember helping with some of the process and the pride in completing a project. Now, we're co-owners in the Stearman together and have the same hanger and tools that he used for his many repairs and restorations.

Im interested in starting a 4 place QB and have been rummaging the forums for answers, inspiration, and honestly GUTS. I know its a big pill to swallow but within the next year it could be a perfect time for me to start. Although my grandfather is older, he is still sharp and can help guide me through some of the process. I'd like to do some of the build together while he is still around. I also have a great community of pilots and mechanics that would be eager to teach and help.

Im most concerned about, you guessed it, cost.
    I know that there are many variables after the initial cost of the kit but im looking for a ballpark number that I can expect to spend.
    Excluding the engine and panel, approximately how much could I expect to spend between parts and hardware not included in the most updated kits?
    Ive seen many posts about the trade off between time spent building and costs of purchasing parts. Lets assuming I stay away from any major fabrication.
    I know there are many factors that go into this calculation also but lets say middle to upper middle of the road.

Ive also seen posts about not purchasing a second hand, unfinished kit but I am still tempted to do so to save some money in the long run.
    If anyone is strongly opposed to this, id like to be slapped around now before I consider it any further.

Thanks all for you time, nice to "meet" you and hopefully there will be many more posts and youtubes to come from me.

All the best,
    Josh

Josh,
    Welcome, that's cool about the stearman flying! Can't comment on the price question but many here can. My post will bump this up so hopefully you'll get some replies. Like income, I think of price more as rate than a lump sum.

Mark
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Comment

Josh, I can help you figure out what it would cost to build a plane from our QB kit. But not here in the forum. If you want to email me - N95MF@hotmail.com
      Mark

Comment

Josh, there are so many awesome things in your post that it's hard to respond. First off, and most importantly, it's great that you have a hero and mentor to bring you through the process. I learned about sheet metal from a WWII P-47 mechanic... he's since "gone West," so I don't have the opportunity to ask questions anymore as I work the metal. It's beyond fantastic that you can leverage the experience of someone that has rebuilt and maintained these machines. That's your ace in the hole. All the rest is gravy.

Cost is a tough thing. There is cost now vs. cost later. Chewie hit the nail on the head - is cost a rate or a lump sum? That's a hugely important part of the question. I'll summarize what I've learned from this group and others... the lowest, lump-sum cost way to get a Bearhawk is to order a quick-build kit or inherit/buy a project from someone else. But, that may be a lot of lump-sum cost. I don't know your constraints, so I can't tell you the best way to go, if up-front cost is your major driver. I'll even say that there is a builder on this forum selling their partially-completed kit now - that may be the lowest-lump-sum cost option.

I'm scratch-building. I'm lying if I say that it isn't partially due to cost (or, as Chewie put it, cost rate - how much I can put in per unit time). But I also have access to three flying airplanes in my flying club, and am working a full-time job plus plus (even virtually - I do most of what I can behind a computer), have a couple of kids, try to do home duties, really actually enjoy spending time with my wife, and otherwise divide my attention between too many things. My main goal is to finish when I retire. My stretch goal is to have the plane flying by the time my oldest son is scouting colleges (he's seven). That means I have between 10 years (college tours) and 20 years (retirement) to finish. Hence the slow-build fits my lifestyle. It's not for everyone, and it's up to you to figure out your situation.

Your grandfather sounds awesome. You have a hangar full of tools, and a partner with a head full of expertise (worth gobs more than all the tools in your shop). You've recognized how capable the Bearhawk is (I lusted after it for 10 years before buying plans two years ago). You're way ahead of most folks. Honestly, you can't make a bad decision, no matter what you decide. If I were you.... and you had the lump sum to cover the kit cost... and you want to start flying your Bearhawk sooner rather than later... and you want to leverage your grandfather's expertise... quick is your friend here. But that's a lot of "if's." I'll emphasize that there are no wrong decisions. Good luck, brother!
        4-Place Model 'B' Serial 1529B (with many years to go...)

Comment

Wow, that was great advice!
          thanks for taking the time.
          it’s encouraging to read about so many projects happening.
          ill reach out to Mark tomorrow and make a plan for what will be best!
          Josh

Comment

Welcome! Cool opportunity to learn from your grandpa and fly the Stearman he restored. There’s something special about grandpas passing on things they love.

I think the previous guys have done a good job talking about how and why cost numbers are hard to figure out. At the same time it’s nice when someone gives you a ballpark answer to the question being asked. Two things to consider when thinking about the number I give: 1: My BH is scratch built so even though a bought tons of stuff from Mark I did not build my airplane from a kit. 2: My “ballpark” is much smaller than other builders. I’ve seen some builds on here have close to the same money in just their panel as I do in my entire airplane.

I’d SWAG building a BH will cost you $20k on top of the kit, FWF and panel.
            Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I think if you are a life long airplane builder you can come up with a decent estimate. Counting the money sitting on the ramp, for me at least, doesn't count the amount of money I spent "learning". LOL.

If I scratch built? I doubt I would have saved ANY money over a QB kit. Maybe I will get smarter and more talented in my next life.

Comment

Working...
              X