Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was on old yahoo forum back when it started, now here from SE WY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was on old yahoo forum back when it started, now here from SE WY

I was on the old yahoo email forum/group. I have plans 767 of the original bearhawk. Eric Newton was building his, Russ had completed his back then. I did help a buddy build a bearhawk as I welded in some tubes for him and made the fuel tanks and helped with a few little odds and ends. I then lost interest.

I'm currently finishing a Kolb Firestar 2 that should be complete in the next few months. I'm ready to cover with fabric.

I'm interested in the Bearhawk LSA. It's just me and the wife now and even when I've owned airplanes before I mostly flew alone with occasionally taking someone for a ride. I flew probably 90% alone so the LSA just makes a lot of sense both for initial costs and operating costs.
    BH 4 place plans #767, currently finishing a Kolb Firestar 2 kit. Very interested in the BH LSA.

Welcome to the forum. I am building the LSA from a kit. Even though I don't need the typical benefits of an LSA (medical, sport pilot eligibility) it still makes sense to me as a sport plane. I like the aesthetic of light weight and simplicity: cheaper to build (at least when buying the engine,) less fuel, less insurance expense, etc., but still it outperforms most similar airplanes.

Comment

Hi OhioLSA. I was born and raised a Buckeye and I still have friends all and relatives all over the state but I've lived all over the world after high school. I do like the idea of the BH LSA it is fast enough you can still go somewhere, whereas the Kolb I am finishing is just a fly around a 50 mile radius airplane. I'll enjoy the Kolb but it would be nice to have something a bit faster. I used to own a Piper Colt that I flew all over the US even though it's not much of a x-country airplane but I bought it to build time so it worked great. I had the autogas STC so it was really cheap flying. I see the BH LSA would fly a bit faster than that so big thumbs up. I did have a health issue but it's fixed, and I could use basic med, except I'd need to go through the hassle of getting a waiver and at this point it's not worth it to me.
      BH 4 place plans #767, currently finishing a Kolb Firestar 2 kit. Very interested in the BH LSA.

Comment

Close to finishing my original 4-place, plans 246,
        also was in the original group. I would love to build an LSA, such an impressive performer! Welcome back!

Comment

Glad to have you back! The Bearhawk LSA is delightful airplane, but have you ruled out being able to operate under BasicMed?

Comment

Welcome back! I’ve got plans 708, was part of the old group and am looking forward to flying in 2023. It can be done and any Bob Barrows aircraft design is worth the effort.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the welcome back. It's funny a friend of mine said, "no matter what airplane you have or are building, there's always another one you want to do next." I'm not quite done with my Kolb LSA and here I am frothing at the lips to do a BH LSA. It's funny.

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
              have you ruled out being able to operate under BasicMed?
              Hi Jared. Yes, I have looked into basic med and I do qualify as my last physical was valid at the time basic med came into being, however, if you have a heart attack you still have to have the tests done by a cardiologist just like if you were trying to get your medical back. There are a few disqualifiers for basic med and unfortunately a myocardial infarction is one of those disqualifiers.

Comment

LSA052 I did receive your PM but I can't reply as I don't have enough permission. Great to hear of an LSA flying in WY. If I get up that way I'll need to look him up. to check it out. Are you building yours now?

Comment

• jaredyates
                  jaredyates commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Please try your PM again, should be good now.

• JayDub
                  JayDub commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you Jared. That worked.
              Working...
              X