Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aero Classic 27.5” tires on LSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aero Classic 27.5” tires on LSA

I’ve been reading some old posts by some builders planning on going with Matco 8” wheels and Aero Classic 27.5” on their LSA but haven’t found any follow up. Would love to hear from anyone using this setup—how is braking, do you have single or dual pucks, how is your cruise speed?

Before going with the Desser smooth tires it’s suggest doing some googling on weather checking of the tires. If you still decide to go with them make sure the ones you receive are freshly manufactured. The set I bought lasted 6 months and 3 landings. I didn’t know it at the time but they had been on the shelf for 3 years when they sold them to me. No warranty because I ran them at a “extremely low” pressure of 25psi and not 42psi as required by the TSO.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Whee-sorry you had that experience. Good to know. I’ve googled and haven’t found any weather checking issues you mentioned, just happy positive reviews. I’ll keep researching.

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra Skydog View Post
        Whee-sorry you had that experience. Good to know. I’ve googled and haven’t found any weather checking issues you mentioned, just happy positive reviews. I’ll keep researching.
        I hadn’t heard anything about it until I asked on a popular Facebook group. There was quite a few people that had experienced the same but there is probably a lot more that had a great experience. It may be worth it to give them a try yourself. I really wanted my Dessers be great tires and I kinda want to try them again but fool me once…

Attached Files
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

As a point of reference, I’ve been running the Desser 31s on Grove 10” wheels for 4 years and 400 hours on my Patrol. They look brand new, they are phenomenal. I swap them out with 35” bushwheels for the summer and I gotta say that I much prefer the Dessers, except for big rock gravel bars. The grove 10” wheels and brakes are top shelf, I don’t think it gets much better. Im putting them on my 185 with 850x10s whenever grove clears their long list of back orders and actually manufactures what they’re marketing. I remember when I was shopping for my grove/Desser setup, I was particularly interested in the grove 8” wheels with the Desser 27.5s. Grove informed me that they were getting very little interest in the 8” setup and that they weren’t actually making any…..ummmm, so why are your marketing that setup? Similar scenario with the the current hot seller, the proven 10” wheels and brakes that I have on my Patrol, they will take your name and put it on their list but they’ll admit that they have no idea when they plan to manufacture them. I’ve been on their list for my 185 setup for 18 months. What they make is exceptional but good luck getting it. Sorry for the thread drift.

Comment

I gave up on Grove’s 8” wheel and just got the 6”

I wanted to run 27.5’s or 29’s

They made it clear they had no manufacturing plans, but this was during the height of the WuFlu
            N678C
            https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
            Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

IMG_0817.jpg I went from 6x6 to 8x21 rib tires on Grove 6 inch wheels lost 5 mph on top end. My tires have been on for three years . I run 18-20 PSI Stinger

Comment

Sierra Skydog I just logged in and saw your messages on this topic. I went as far as building the landing gear and mounting the wheels/brakes/tires on my LSA but have since moved on from the project. Matco was very responsive and good to interact with when I needed help with spacing. The hubs seem a bit light if your were running at the full rated static weight and loading them heavy with rough terrain use, but that's just an impression. One of my rims initially leaked around the O-ring that seals the wheel halves and reading on the Zenith forum this isn't an unusual problem. I recently split the rims, polished the o-ring surface on both wheel halves and assembled with some Xtra-Seal Bead sealer on the o-ring and everything is holding air nicely. The 27.5 Desser tires fit the 8" matco rims perfect. The beads are very easy to seat and unseat. I used a ratchet strap around the tire perimeter of the tire and pulled the valve stem to give a blast of air to expand the tire/seat the bead. My tires haven't flown, so I can't comment on that. They've been stored inside and look new. I'll attach a few photos, hope this helps on your journey.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thank you all for your input on this! lsa140 those tires look really good....just when I was thinking that 8.50x6 Dessers is probably all I need to go where I go….hmmm maybe, maybe not..still undecided

Comment

I'm watching this thread closely. My tires will go on a Patrol and they will be most likely 8x6 or 8.50x6. Not sure yet, but I think I will be buying them at Oshkosh this year. Whee's advice give me pause....serious pause on the Desser 4 ply smoothy's. Stingers's 5 kt loss on the LSA adds to that pause.

Air Trac, Michelin and Goodyear have 8.50x6 tires that are 6 ply, heavier, ribbed tread and not as supple. Smooth tires throw up fewer stones and the only way (that I know of) to get a smooth tread outside of the Desser product is a retread.
                    Last edited by Bcone1381; 07-05-2023, 11:09 AM.
                    Brooks Cone
                    Southeast Michigan
                    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

How about the Aero Classic 8.50 x6 tundra tire from ACS. Is that a retread? I see it has 4 plies and costs twice as much as a ribbed 6-ply tire. I know almost nothing about tires, but I was considering these for my Patrol on 6” Airframes Alaska wheels. Comments/education appreciated.

Comment

• jim.mclaughlin924
                        jim.mclaughlin924 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I replaced 8.00x6 6ply with these, much softer and great for backcountry.

Originally posted by Pbruce View Post
                      How about the Aero Classic 8.50 x6 tundra tire from ACS. Is that a retread? I see it has 4 plies and costs twice as much as a ribbed 6-ply tire. I know almost nothing about tires, but I was considering these for my Patrol on 6” Airframes Alaska wheels. Comments/education appreciated.
                      Those are new tires, I have them on my 4-place, but haven't flown yet. At 20psi they are 21 " tall and 8 1/2" wide. Should be good for most back country strips I want to use. Mine take tubes, at Desser they also have the same size in tubeless.
                      Last edited by rodsmith; 08-09-2023, 08:00 AM.

Comment

And it’s the Desser tubeless ones which Whee had the quality issue with? I understand the advantage is that you can run the tubeless at lower pressure and not shear off the valve stem. Also save the weight and cost of the tubes, which are considerable. Not sure whether the airframes Alaska 3-bolt wheels can use tubeless though. Sorry about any thread drift

Comment

Working...
                        X