Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oratex Fabric Covering / Oracover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better Aircraft Products has an Installation Instructions page, and Lars Gleitsmann (the owner) presents a seminar at OSH and SNF every year. They also put on demonstrations in their booth. Lars recommends the straight tapes for best results, and says they only offer the "pinked" tapes for those who just have to have the "traditional" look.

My plan, when the time comes, is to follow the book procedures closely, and to practice by covering a (yet-to-be-built) canopy cover for my tractor before I tackle the Patrol.

PS - ORATEX is the fabric, and ORACOVER is their special "remains flexible" paint you can use to achieve colors they don't sell, or to paint cowlings, gear legs, wingtips, etc. They also sell "film" (that adheres very well) in various colors, patterns, and widths for trim tapes, or even to apply over the ORATEX fabric for things like "checkerboard rudders / elevators", etc.
    Last edited by JimParker256; 10-17-2017, 10:04 AM.
    Jim Parker
    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
    RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
      Mark Goldberg commented
      Editing a comment
      I tried some automotive two part paint and it stuck very well (on my LSA) and does not crack or misbehave in any way. Their proprietary paint is quite pricey and it seems much cheaper paint works well on the Oratex. MG

• BAnton
      BAnton commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking maybe a trip to Germany for a workshop at the factory

• JimParker256
      JimParker256 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, even Lars states that other paints will work – guess he gets tired of the "It costs HOW MUCH?" question... He says the key is using a good flex agent that works with your paint. And we've now exhausted 110% of everything I know on that subject! LOL
Working...
X