Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Me Likes my new BH Tailwheels Tundra Tailwheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robcaldwell View Post
    Keeping a spare tube handy is a great idea! I visited Eric's site, but did not see spare tubes offered for sale. Where did you source your spare tube from?
    Hi Rob,

I don’t sell them because people can get them cheaper by buying them directly from Aircraft Spruce, or Wicks. Mine come from Aircraft Spruce and I get a very small discount.

for the Tundra, order Aircraft Spruce Part #: 06-08102

Eric Newton

Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
    Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
    http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

• robcaldwell
      robcaldwell commented
      Editing a comment
      What is the tube part number for the 10" tire? (not Tundra).

I will be tuning my axle and kingpin fit as you described previously!

Thanks so much, Eric!

I had to cut and weld my bracket to get the correct pivot angle, since my titanium spring is softer than the steel spring. That helped a lot, but still had occasional shimmy. Using about 20 psi helped, but packing the bearing and shaft with the super stiff fuel lube grease cured it completely.

Comment

Rod, the 10" tube is Aircraft spruce Part# 06-00761.

Eric

Comment

Not sure if this was mentioned.....
        I had a bit of trouble with the strap bracket deforming and contributed to shimmy. Jack weight off tailwheel and check for free play. I had posted a previous post on my Jon Battson mod that has worked out well.

hope helpful.
        Thanks too much,
        John Bickham

Los Lunas, NM Mid Valley Airpark E98
        BH Plans #1117
        Avipro wings/Scratch
        http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....er&project=882

Comment

So I have about 65 hrs on the plane now,

I have been running about 25 psi in the Tundra Tailwheel and am concerned that the tire to tailwheel fork is just too tight and is shaving off the Center of the tailwheel tire, what have people switched to to gain some clearance? IMG_4913.jpg

I have tried to send a text to Eric Newton but must have an old cell number from 2019. Will send him a DM through the forums now

thanks

Daniel
          Attached Files

Comment

Eric's email should reach him - he replied to me quickly recently. I'm running about 25 PSI and seems ok.
            Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
            YouTube - Build and flying channel
            Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeD View Post
              So I have about 65 hrs on the plane now,

I have been running about 25 psi in the Tundra Tailwheel and am concerned that the tire to tailwheel fork is just too tight and is shaving off the Center of the tailwheel tire, what have people switched to to gain some clearance?

I have tried to send a text to Eric Newton but must have an old cell number from 2019. Will send him a DM through the forums now

thanks

Daniel
              This tight clearance is by design, Bob specified that this clearance needed to be as small as possible, to avoid stones etc from jamming in the gap and preventing the tire from turning (likely resulting in a flat tailwheel).

I recall receiving this answer from Eric many years ago when I posed the same question.

The new tailwheel will wear down soon enough, and the racing stripe will disappear.

Comment

I believe it might be a bit over inflated. On the Tundra only, I recommend 15 to 20 PSI. On all other sizes 25+ PSI.

Maybe it's the camera angle, but I don't see any evidence of it rubbing (i.e. no black powder) on the cross tube or body so I don't believe it's a clearance issue.

Lastly, check for shimmy on your pavement landings. If needed, tighten the friction bolt a bit.

Hope this helps,

Eric Newton

Comment

Thank you

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                  X