Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two issues with QB kit parts supplied

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two issues with QB kit parts supplied

There are two items that were supplied with recent QB kits that had small problems.

First, on the most recent batch of gas caps - the "bolt" part that holds it all together was missing the O ring groove that holds the small o ring up near the "top" of the part. The cut was actually made, but the tool used by the machinist was much wider than what is called for on the drawings. My recollection is that this last batch of gas caps were the first ones "tumbled" after machining. So they do not have a shiny appearance. If you got gas caps with your kit or alternately bought some gas caps - I will be replacing the part that was not machined properly. This is not a safety issue as the worst thing that can happen is a very small amount of fuel could leak out at the top of the gas cap when the tanks are totally full. Bob was not 100% sure that this part as delivered would be a problem. But the machinist has made a new batch of them done correctly which should be in hand tomorrow or Friday. There have been 60-70 gas caps shipped out like this.

Second, this concerns shock strut parts. The heavy wall tube that the piston is welded to is supposed to be .750 O.D. But it seems the tubing stock is a little big - around .752 or so. And the I.D. of the bronze top cap is supposed to be .752 - .754. Well, of course the ones I have are almost all in the ,752 range. So the piston tube will not pass through the center hole of the bronze top cap. I have purchased a reamer that will open the hole up a few thousandths so the .752 piston shaft will be able to function as designed. It is easier to open up the I.D. of the bronze top cap than remove .002 from the piston tube unless you have a lathe and know how to use it. But if you want to remove some material from the piston shaft - it is only needed on the top 4 inches or so. That is all of the shaft that moves through the top cap. Someone called me about this last week but I can not remember who it was.

So please contact me if you would like new parts for your gas caps or would like me to send you the reamer to open up the I.D. of the bronze top caps. If you are a kit customer - I have your shipping address etc. If you are a scratch builder who bought parts - please include your shipping address with your email. N95MF@hotmail.com

Sorry for the problems but we will fix it. Mark

QB kits include gas caps?

Comment

The drawing indicates this dimension should be 0.080"

Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
        Mark Goldberg commented
        Editing a comment
        This is what they look like when they are wrong and need to be replaced. MG

Originally posted by Zzz View Post
      QB kits include gas caps?
      Mine did, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Battson View Post

Mine did, yes.
        Mine did not, at least that I've found. Perhaps they are stored inside the wings, which I've not cracked into since they've been stored since receiving.

Comment

Originally posted by Zzz View Post

Mine did not, at least that I've found. Perhaps they are stored inside the wings, which I've not cracked into since they've been stored since receiving.
          Yes, I think they come with the wings wrapped in a whole lot of bubble wrap. You've nothing to worry about, I am 100% sure Mark will honour the kit's correct packing list.

Comment

We have tried to include more parts in the QB as years have gone by - especially when we have a price increase, There are a number of items, like the gas caps, that are included with QB kits now when they were not in years past. It is a rather long list of items that are now included that were not previously. Older kits might not have gas caps if they were not included at that time. MG

Comment

Mark,
              Would it be possible to buy separate ribs for the 4 plc flat wing?
              Jim Lindner

Comment

Working...
            X