Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tail spring failure, single leaf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail spring failure, single leaf

Our tail spring snapped just after landing in the weekend. We were on an especially rough airstrip, but the tail just broke under a moderate rolling load, nothing special.

IMG_20190329_174606.jpg

If we examine the failure surface, we can quickly see the "beach marks" (fatigue striations) which originates from cracks on the lower surface. These are a tell-tale sign of a fast growing crack, experiencing high stresses, which is not surprising. This is the bottom of the lower-most spring, so it's likely that rocks flicked up by the wheels have impacted the spring, created micro-cracks in the spring which have grown quickly. This was after 668 hours service. The cracks were probably not that old.

What is surprising is the size of the large grey area, perhaps 80% of the spring's cross-sectional area. This is the "final failure area", which tears apart when the metal is under high stress. It appears dull instead of shiny because of the tearing metal (called micro-void coalescence). The point is, this spring leaf is regularly stressed to 80% of it's breaking load (ultimate tensile strength) during an off airport landing. That is interesting.

Clearly the design is fit for purpose, as no damage was done and we flew home.

We were in a remote location with a considerable load aboard, so after finishing our hunting trip we had to delicately get the plane into the air and gingerly land back at home base. We jury-rigged the tail with a 600lb strap we had aboard, which after 20 wraps was more than strong enough to take some weight. It was a non-event though, as I was able to lift the tail in less than 10 metres under full power / full flaps for take-off. We landed and I kept the tail up until we had taxied off the runway, then placed the tail down carefully whilst at a standstill.

If you land tail-first or off-airport a lot, then you may wish to consider changing your tail spring every 500 or 600 hours.
    Or perhaps inspecting it for cracks with dye penetrant. This is probably what I will do.
    Or just live with the knowledge, the two remaining spring elements are strong enough to get you home if treated carefully.

Go Bearhawk!

(Edited for typos)
    Last edited by Battson; 04-01-2019, 02:15 PM.

You should also replace your tail spring attach bolts every year at the least. They're quite prone to failure with off airport ops to.

I lost 3 tail wheels last year on a significantly weaker airframe. Once I found a solution that was strong enough it just moved the failure up into the frame so I'm not sure that was a good thing.

Comment

This is the first instance that I know of when a tailspring actually cracked and broke. I thought they were just supposed to bend when over stressed.

I guess a little damage from a rock creating a stress riser which turns into a crack, as Jonathan said, can certainly do this. Mark

Comment

Originally posted by zkelley2 View Post
        You should also replace your tail spring attach bolts every year at the least. They're quite prone to failure with off airport ops to.

I lost 3 tail wheels last year on a significantly weaker airframe. Once I found a solution that was strong enough it just moved the failure up into the frame so I'm not sure that was a good thing.
        We have stronger bolts in the U bracket area, and we change them every 200hrs. The king bolt every 200hrs too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Goldberg View Post
          This is the first instance that I know of when a tailspring actually cracked and broke. I thought they were just supposed to bend when over stressed.

I guess a little damage from a rock creating a stress riser which turns into a crack, as Jonathan said, can certainly do this. Mark
          My buddy has a Maule M5. He was hunting with a mutual friend, same thing happened - one spring broke.
          Another acquaintance has a Tri-Pacer taildragger conversion, he busted the tail spring on a riverbed.
          A am aware of several other breakages too.

I think breaking a spring leaf can happen with any tail spring.

Comment

• Ray Strickland
            Ray Strickland commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. Broke one on my 1990 S-10 at about 190,000 miles.
        Working...
        X