Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas struts for windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas struts for windows

Per request here are some photo's of our brackets for attaching the SUSPA C16-24170 20lb gas strut. These struts open to 10 inches and close to 7. Our windows will open slightly less than normal due to the fact they are bubbled a bit and we weld the brackets at the point that fit for us. Too low or too high on the aircraft frame or window frame will make a big difference in how much weight they will hold and how far they open. Also ours may be a bit heavier because we have formed .016 alum to hide the window tubing. We also used these struts for the baggage door ( just as soon as I get back to the hanger I will post a photo of that one too.) and in my opinion work great in both applications. The bracket on the window frame will allow us to adjust the position of the strut if necessary by elongating the hole.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by Flygirl1; 10-03-2016, 03:05 PM.

For those of you that do not know - Donna and her husband Dennis are finishing TWO Patrols which should be flying soon. From pictures and reports from visitors to the shop - all indicate BEAUTIFUL planes that will be super fine examples of the Patrol. Mark

Comment

• Flygirl1
      Flygirl1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Mark, thanks for the wonderful report!! ;-) Stop me if I start pointing out all the flaws. I'm hoping our paint schemes will draw the attention away!!!

Donna, do you feel those gas struts are substantial enough to hold open a "seaplane style" door on a 4 place in flight? My experience with smaller airplanes is the door tries to fly up once you unlatch it at 90 mph and I imageine a gas strut will help, but I also wonder if it's as secure as making a receiving latch on the underside of the wing. Thanks.

Nic

Comment

• Flygirl1
      Flygirl1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I would say these ones are not strong enough.

Nic, I put seaplane doors on my 4 place with a gas strut to hold it open which is very similar to what Donna did. I haven't flown yet but my estimation is that a single strut won't be enough; a strut at the rear of the door will be needed to stabilize the door frame when flying with it open. I very much want to fly with the doors open so we'll eventually find out if I'm right.

I'll try to post pics when I can get to a computer.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Thanks Donna! I've ordered struts, thanks to your kind assistance.

Bill

Comment

• Flygirl1
        Flygirl1 commented
        Editing a comment
        You are more than welcome. You like my window struts, you should see what we imagineered to hold my cowling door open. ;-) We have used southco wing nuts and we fabricated a plate that has the southco receptacle riveted to it and that piece is fastened onto what used to be a telescoping mirror on a stick, which is fastened onto the engine baffling. It allows me to retract the rod so I can hook it to the wing nut on the cowling door and then open it to just about any length I want. ;-) D.

• Bdflies
        Bdflies commented
        Editing a comment
        Your imagineered cowl support sounds very interesting! I think I just about understand. Now that you've teased with words, it seems a couple more photos are in order...

Bill

What kind of finish is that on the doors?

Comment

• Flygirl1
        Flygirl1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I think your talking about the interior window trim, so correct me if it's something else. Hard to tell sometimes when your looking at an un-familiar photo. Anyway it's that stone look rattle can stuff. D.

Here is another photo of the struts with one open and one closed. They fit nicely when closed and do not interfere anywhere.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Here is the cowl lift.
        This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

That's an innovative idea!

Bill

Comment

Donna,
            Very clever idea, and brilliant source for the extension arm! But I cannot see how it stays in place when lying above the cylinder head covers? I'm not seeing anything to act as a "retainer" when the cowling is closed. Am I missing something in the pictures?
            Thanks!
            Jim Parker
            Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
            RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

I chose not to put an angle piece on the door, so it was the only way we could think of to hold it open. You are correct and very observant! I have a clip I also picked up at the RV surplus store for the other side and it works but that arm is slimmer than this one and they only had one size. So I'm still looking for a clip to attach to the baffle. I think some cars have them under the hood, so maybe a trip to the local junk yard is in order, or velcro with some high temp glue? or any other ideas?? D.

Comment

Thought of a nice solution for holding the extension rod--put a southco wing nut on the inside of the baffle which will be easily reached from the nose bowl opening. D.
                Last edited by Flygirl1; 10-21-2016, 06:11 PM.

Comment

This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
                  X