Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint stripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint stripper

I'm stripping some sections of my quickbuild fuselage for welding. I've tried CitrusStrip and Klean-Strip Stripper from Home Depot, both utterly ineffective on the strontium chromate/urethane fuselage paint.

What's it gonna take to cut through this stuff? What ingredients am I looking for on the MSDS?

You might have to just put the torch on it with some heat to loosen up the paint. Then sand or brush it away. FYI - there is no urethane paint on your fuselage. It is the epoxy strotium chromate primer with epoxy topcoat.

I bet there is a paint stripper that would work, but sorry I have no knowledge what it might be. Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Goldberg View Post
      You might have to just put the torch on it with some heat to loosen up the paint. Then sand or brush it away. FYI - there is no urethane paint on your fuselage. It is the epoxy strotium chromate primer with epoxy topcoat.

I bet there is a paint stripper that would work, but sorry I have no knowledge what it might be. Mark
      Thanks Mark for the clarification. Upon further reading it sounds like Methylene Chloride is the secret sauce for epoxy paint stripping. It's horrendous stuff, but it apparently works.
      Last edited by Zzz; 02-02-2017, 04:36 PM.

Comment

I used a scotchbrite pad in the die grinder and it worked great.

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
          I used a scotchbrite pad in the die grinder and it worked great.
          Doesn't work so well to get in the nooks and crannies of an existing weld.

Man, nothing will touch this paint. Bought some stuff with methylene chloride and it's unfazed. I guess it's time to use the torch.

Comment

Solvent Kleene D-Solve aircraft stripper 15-33r This is amazing stuff and non toxic. I had to strip wings with epoxy and urethane, no problem. Unfortunately you have to buy a minimum of 5 gallons, I used 2 for the both wings. They will send out a pint sample for free if you call, that may be all you need.

Comment

Torch and a wire brush.
              Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Checking back in... as it turns out, the Klean-Strip "Aircraft Remover" did work quite well. It as important to shake and mix the can better than I did initially. I think I slathered on mostly solvent instead of the solution. I gave it an hour and it was a small job to wire brush the paint off.

The paint on the quickbuilds is great stuff.

Last edited by Zzz; 02-05-2017, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X