Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding the fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding the fuse

I am getting ready to start a scratch build 4 place. I can oxy weld, but I have a propane torch no acetylene. Is the temp going to be too different, or can I use the same tips it recommends in the manual?

It's too bad the tinman isn't still a community regular, because he'd be able to answer your question for sure, but at this link he says he doesn't recommend his propane meco tips for steel:
    TM Technologies: Tools, Sheet Metal Shaping Machines, Gas Welding Supplies, Articles & lWorkshops for Better Metalworking

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
      It's too bad the tinman isn't still a community regular, because he'd be able to answer your question for sure, but at this link he says he doesn't recommend his propane meco tips for steel:
      https://www.tinmantech.com/products/...cessories/#pro
      Kent Master...as I call him, is a regular on bearhawkgroups.com
      And to rub it in a bit...this is at the fourth oldest village site in Alaska
      Using Kent’s planishing hammer to form fairing for the PA18 gear.
      Last edited by Mark Moyle; 02-20-2019, 09:22 PM.

Comment

You could get a small used Miller Maxstar TIG for a bit over 500$ off CL. Probably perfect for tubing. Just not gas.
        T

Comment

Here's a quick bit on propane vs oxyacetylene from a welding standpoint:

Ever so often, the question of whether one can use Propane instead of Acetylene will pop up. Learn the difference between the two, and how to prevent accidents.

You might be able to use propane for heating tubes for bending purposes, but not for welding. There's some magic chemistry in there.
          Christopher Owens
          Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
          Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
          Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I believe Bob recommends oxyacetylene, that is the aviation standard. I would recommend using oxyacetylene.

Comment

As previously stated, Propane is not used for Oxy/fuel welding. I’m not an engineer or chemist, but have discussed the subject with both. I’m told that the Acetylene flame liberates more CO2 than the Propane flame. It’s the CO2 that acts to shield the weld from atmospheric contamination. Like I said, I’m not a chemist, but the phenomenon can be demonstrated pretty easily. Cutting light gauge steel sheet with Acetylene isn’t easy, because the cut tends to re-weld itself as the cut proceeds. Cutting with propane, as the fuel, doesn’t weld up the cut. It leaves a nice clean cut, because it just can’t weld up the gap.

Bill

Comment

Mikeos98 might be asking more about the application of his torch tips, not the fuel. But interesting dialog, I didn't know any of that about propane.
                Mark
                Scratch building Patrol #275
                Hood River, OR

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
                  Mikeos98 might be asking more about the application of his torch tips, not the fuel. But interesting dialog, I didn't know any of that about propane.
                  Now that you mention it, after re-reading it I get a feel for that. So can you clarify? Are you asking if you can weld O/A with propane equipment, or are you asking about welding with oxy/propane?
                  Christopher Owens
                  Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                  Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                  Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Welding with oxy- propane

Comment

We had a oxy/propane welding setup on the farm. I never used it but I guess they were sorta popular in the 70s. I’d call or email the Tin Man. I don’t know enough to be able to offer anything meaningful. I’d be concerned that the combustion products of Oxy/propane don’t shield the weld like oxy/acetylene does.
                      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

You might consider picking up a used TIG outfit. I quite oxy welding years ago and never looked back. TIG is really the industrial standard for precision welding these days and the only technique used for welding 4130 race car frames. TIG is also really nice for aluminum welding.

Comment

Used miller Maxstar. Best (arguably) Tig machine for steel only and not too expensive used. Having the aluminum capacity jacks up price 4 or 5 times. !!!!!!!
                          I think I remember kent selling different tips for the meeco midjet for non-acetylene gasses. Cant remember if it was mapp or propane.
                          T

Comment

Working...
                          X