Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum prep and primer questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum prep and primer questions

I'm almost done forming all my ribs and need to place an order for the prep and prime products.

Is the current general consensus to eliminate the previously recommended alodine process and simply acid etch before priming??

I'm thinking of going with Stewart Systems products.

Any recommendation regarding EkoPrime vs EkoPoxy Primer?

Other recommendations???

Thanks!

Karl
    Bearhawk Bravo #1508B - Scratch Build (wings)
    Northern Idaho

EkoPrime is easy to use after cleaning and etching, but is not fuel proof. I’ve never used Ekopoxy.

Comment

Originally posted by kilohotel View Post
      I'm almost done forming all my ribs and need to place an order for the prep and prime products.

Is the current general consensus to eliminate the previously recommended alodine process and simply acid etch before priming??

I'm thinking of going with Stewart Systems products.

Any recommendation regarding EkoPrime vs EkoPoxy Primer?

Other recommendations???

Thanks!
      Interesting that Stewarts doesn't sell an alodyne product, just recommend etch and then prime. I have found that Ekopoxy sprays very nicely, probably overkill for wing parts but what I wanted to use on the steel tubing.

Comment

I did Stewart's cleaner, etch with scotch brite and ekoprime with a small spray gun and am happy with the results.
        Mark
        Scratch building Patrol #275
        Hood River, OR

Comment

Thanks for the input guys!

...not sure this represents a consensus, but it sure looks like a trend... I just ordered the SS EkoEtch and EkoPrime!
          Karl
          Bearhawk Bravo #1508B - Scratch Build (wings)
          Northern Idaho

Comment

• svyolo
            svyolo commented
            Editing a comment
            Me 2. Today.
        Working...
        X