Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automotive aluminium AN fittings for Bearhawk brake system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automotive aluminium AN fittings for Bearhawk brake system

I was looking at purchasing some auto-racing AN fittings for my brake system, they appear to be the same P/N and spec as the AN fittings you buy from Spruce. Just available locally in NZ and cheaper, which has to be a good thing.

I noticed in the seller's terms and conditions *** aluminium AN fittings not for brake applications ***. I followed up, and in auto racing they specify stainless steel only.

So, I wondered whether aluminium AN fittings are recommended for aircraft brakes for our sort of application (light GA single). Does anyone know? I can't imagine why not, as the majority of the system is made from aluminium pipe, fittings, etc.

The aluminum fittings will be adequate and safe for our applications. Not so on a Bizjet elevated temps, and antiskid

Comment

Pressure pulses approaching 7500 psi.
      In race car applications pressures are high but the issue is crash integrity keeping components attached.
      you can break a -3 or -4 fitting before you fail the hose attachment.

Comment

I’ve had great luck with the AN fittings and stainless braided hose from Summit racing. You want to make sure you order Teflon lined hose.

Comment

• Battson
          Battson commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep PTFE hose all the way. I am using premade crimped hoses to replace my PTFE bare hoses. The added protection and joint strength of the braid is what I am after. I currently have just straight "Teflon", just not the Du Pont stuff...

My experience is very limited due to my Luscombe having cable actuation disk brakes; my BH is the first airplane I have owned personally that has hydraulic brakes. However, on the airplanes I looked at and the Luscombe hydraulic brake conversion 337s I viewed the fittings were all aluminum. I used aluminum AN fittings from Summit and their premade hoses for my brake system.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• Battson
          Battson commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks - that is a great confidence booster - your setup it identical to my new one, and will be 50 hrs ahead of mine. Let me know if anything junks out!

Jon,
        You are at the bottom of the world. I don't know how much retail shipping costs to get to you. I can choose amongst many places to buy some stuff like AN fittings. The racing stuff seems as good as anything from the aircraft suppliers. Here, about half the time, it is cheaper from the aircraft suppliers than from the racing suppliers. The racing suppliers have cheaper, and usually faster, shipping.
        As far as disclaimers, racing has their own "code" and standards. There is some wisdom in theirs, just as there is in ours.

There are some unique AN style fittings available from the racing world. I bought a couple. Aeroquip Starlight fuel hose is wonderful stuff. Far better than regular fuel hose, light weight, and doesn't tend to collapse.

What is better for you in NZ. Not sure. I don't know retail shipping to NZ. Racing stuff is really good.

Comment

Working...
        X