Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hanging Flaps and Ailerons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging Flaps and Ailerons

I have 2004 vintage quick build wings. I'm finally getting around to installing flaps and ailerons. I have found that the closest I can mount them to the rear spar ends up with a chord length of 66 3/8. That leaves the gap between the aileron nose and lower wing skin just 1/8th inch. I could move the trailing edge slightly forward, but probably only an 1/8 inch. I have never heard a discussion of this issue, don't think it is a big problem just curious if others have found the same thing. I plan on building my own wingtips so the extra length won't be a problem there.

1/8" is kind of a minimal gap considering fabric on the aileron nose will take up a little of that space.. You could space the ailerons & flap back a little more with AN970 washers under the weldments that attach them to the rear spar. You could put some shims/spacers under the aileron/flap hinges where they mount to the front face of the spars. Or you could trim back the trailing edge of the lower skin a little. Those are all possible solutions that will help. You do not need much more space. Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Goldberg View Post
      1/8" is kind of a minimal gap considering fabric on the aileron nose will take up a little of that space.. You could space the ailerons & flap back a little more with AN970 washers under the weldments that attach them to the rear spar. You could put some shims/spacers under the aileron/flap hinges where they mount to the front face of the spars. Or you could trim back the trailing edge of the lower skin a little. Those are all possible solutions that will help. You do not need much more space. Mark
      I hadn't drilled anything yet, so just spaced the flaps and ailerons back another 1/8". That makes a wing chord of 66 1/2". Just curious on how the kit wings end up a 1/2" wider than the plans show.

Comment

I installed the hinges on one aileron. Now I find that I can't install the an4-12 hinge bolts because the aileron pocket isn't wide enough. Going to have the same issue with 2 of the 3 flap hinges. An an4-11 might be adequate but that doesn't quite fit either. I need to drill a 1/2" hole in the nose rib to move the bolt head into so I can align and install it. I have a right angle drill but the biggest bit I have is 1/4" and I can't find any threaded 1/2" bit. Any ideas? Certainly I am not the only one to run into this.

Comment

Working...
        X