Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Galvanised wing steel parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galvanised wing steel parts?

A suggestion has been made to get my wing steel parts galvanised before priming/painting. Is this a reasonable path to take?

Hmmmm. Zinc does play well with aluminum. Paint historically doesn't adhere as well to galvanized. Haven't done the math on the weight. I might lean more towards INSTEAD of primer and paint. I've already painted mine, not going back.

Mark J

Comment

To be honest, sounds like a dumb idea from a non-aviation person. Prime well and paint with epoxy paint. It will outlive the time you will own the aircraft and then some. The only anti-corrosion plating I have seen on aircraft parts is nickel and cadmium plating.

Comment

You would basically be doing the same job twice if you painted over the top of galvanising, both are just a protective coating.

As you probably know, galvanising is physically consumed as the corrosion attacks it [first] before starting into the metal. In a geothermal environment like yours, data I have access to shows industrial thickness galvanising is consumed in as little as 10 years of exposure [to the airborne chemicals]. In salt rich coastal environments, it also doesn't last long.
        Basically that is anywhere in the North Island.... haha. Not really. Some places are much worse than others

Paint on the other hand, must be physically worn down or degraded by UV light before it becomes ineffective. Inside a wing, I predict that is not going to happen very fast.

Comment

Working...
        X