Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tail Lift Handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail Lift Handle

I have been flying a C180K for several years. That plane had tail lift handles that pulled out of the tail section. I decided that that was what I wanted for my Bearhawk.

I sent drawings to Bob to get his input and approval.

Here is what I have done and a copy of the drawing that I sent to Bob.

The lift handles are added between stations GK and HJ. I modeled the bar for 300 pounds fore aft load, 300 vertical and 150 lateral. All loads were applied simultaneously.The flanges/cups are to attach the fabric. The cross tube and the lift bar are inserted from the outside and will be retained by cover plates attached out side of the fabric to the flanges.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

This is a brilliant idea.

The stock handles give almost zero leverage. I am certainly not a fan.

Comment

Great idea! I would imagine you could jack on one side if you are by yourself, or would that put too much downward tension on the opposite side?
      Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
      Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
      http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

I too have pondered a similar placement for handles, especially helpful for when on skis. Would like to see details on the moving tube retention strategy. I was thinking possibly using streamlined tubing permanently in the wind for no moving parts.

Mark J

Comment

Very cool idea. Just wondering if that would add an additional place for water to get into the fuselage. From what I understand the tube is only inserted when the tail needs to be moved. It sounds a little complex. Needing a screwdriver to take off the cover plates and then having a place to store the tube inside somewhere. When it's cold and trying to remove the screws with deep snow below, losing a screw would be a real concern.

Comment

I calculated the loads from one side only. Lifting from both sides should ruduce the loading.

The cross tube could be retained by a sealent. The fabric will be glued to the flanges and have a metal cover screwed to the flange. The cover will keep the handle inplace by having a lip along the bottom of the opening. The hole in the cover plate will be just big enough to allow the handle to be lifted and pulled out. That is how the one on the C180 worked.

I plan to carry a second handle in the cockpit to use when on the opposite side. The fusalage is not wide enough to have handles for both sides. For a slide out handle, I plan to have a single slot in the top of the cross tube.

The handle would be retained by the head of a #6 or #8 shocket head cap screw into the handle. I think I can do this and insert the handle and cross tube into the fusalage. The other option and most likely is that I will have to put the screw in the handle after it is in place. The slot being in the top and the handle inside the tube should prevent water getting inside the fusalage, maybe.
            Last edited by S Lathrop; 09-07-2014, 08:51 AM.

Comment

• Battson
              Battson commented
              Editing a comment
              I suggest a few drips of water in the fuselage is not big deal anyway - it will get in somewhere on most any aircraft as you fly in the rain, that is why we paint the metal parts and use drain grommets in the belly skin.

My favorite handle is the one on the Rans S7. It's a loop on the inboard section of the horz stabilizer. 10x better than the lower longeron handle for wrangling the airplane, but the safety of horsing on that horz with only the 1/4" bolts holding the carrythrough on on the Bearhawk is suspect.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Battson
              Battson commented
              Editing a comment
              Personally I agree with you, I NEVER push on the h-stab. Too important and delicate in my opinion, I put big "NO PUSH" labels on the L/E.
              Also the stabiliser strut gets in the way of your legs, if the handle is too close to the stabiliser, and that is even more delicate.

FWIW, Aviat Husky has the same hand hold as the Rans on their horizontal stab leading edge. Arctic Tern has a more elegant solution. They have two up on the top longerons.
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
            X