Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flap and aileron joggle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flap and aileron joggle

Took an hour to make a precision bending jig. One stroke in the hydraulic press to make a perfect joggle. 83F6C3A4-53A9-422B-914D-313601E617F7.jpg412B83C3-1B69-42A7-835F-6F68F1FD5253.jpg

spinningwrench Looks great!

Comment

Those look great! Would you share a picture of the jig? I'm always interested to learn how people solve problems.
      Model B quick build started 2021

Comment

What was your final inside distance? What bearing do you plan to use? Pics of the die? Any idea how much the bearing hole moved?
        Thx
        Gerry
        Patrol #30
        Last edited by geraldmorrissey; 03-08-2022, 06:58 PM.

Comment

The inside dimension goes from .288" wide to just clear the hinge bearing to .435" to clear the Aurora Rod End Bearing. I drill the holes in all the flap and aileron arms in a set of precision drill jigs I built. The bolt alignment is very good when using all the jigs and the bolts just slip in and align nicely with the flaps and ailerons when done. It's all a bit of a tricky operation, I could write up a procedure of how I did it as I have one more aileron to do tomorrow.

In the attached drawing I have two different wood spacer blocks to set the bend location. I do one bend then flip it over to do the other using a slightly different wood spacer to set the bend location. The 1/4" steel dowel sets the bend radius. I have a small gage block to measure the bend angle which needs to be 13 degrees for my bends. It takes longer to describe than to do.

PRESS BRAKE ASSEMBLY.pdf
          Attached Files
          Last edited by spinningwrench; 03-08-2022, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• Chris Werner
            Chris Werner commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for sharing the drawing. A picture is worth a thousand words!

Why not just position the brackets .435 wide on the flap/aileron spars? Do you have QB flaps/ailerons? What am I missing?
          Gerry
          Patrol #30

Comment

• spinningwrench
            spinningwrench commented
            Editing a comment
            Per Brooks comment the hinge bearing is narrower than the rod end. Potentially one could do this all at a wider spacing but you run into the fact that the narrow aileron/ flap pocket would make it difficult to get a bolt in of sufficient length given the new wider spacing. You can get away with it on the end of the long arms of the brackets in a normal installation because you can slightly deflect the arms to get the Aurora bearing bolts inserted.

The pushrod bearing attaches to the top of the hinge angles has a wider dimension than the hinge bearing that attaches the bottom. The bottom is .288" wide. The top rod end bearing for the flap's push rod is .435".
          Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 9.40.16 AM.png
          Last edited by Bcone1381; 03-09-2022, 12:01 PM.
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Hey Bruce, You do nice work!!

I don't have a press brake or mill or gizmos to fabricate up the tooling you were able to design and create. It seems that each arm gets a joggle to offset it about .075".

I'm away from the shop....just wondering.......Could I joggle these in a vice with a simple joggle tool like they show on this EAA Hints for Homebuilder video? I no experience placing a joggle in 4130 steel. 2024- t3 joggles nicely! Maybe the 4130 steel would spring back?

Below is the link to the Hints for Homebuilders. Start at about 1:30. I also include a few screen shots from the video.

https://www.eaa.org/Videos/Hints-for.../6057901136001

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 10.13.46 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-09 at 10.14.22 AM.png
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Bcone1381; 03-09-2022, 12:21 PM.
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Bcone1381
              Bcone1381 commented
              Editing a comment
              I used this method yesterday. The Joggle tool was .080" thick acrylic scrap, and it was pressed together in a vice like the EAA video. All four hinges were joggled in less than an hour with confidence, including fabrication of the tool and practice on scrap. It seems like the offset on each hinge was about .060"

So for the QB Patrol I will need to build a precision drilling rig and a press brake assembly? And this is to accommodate an unpublished change in the plans? Are there other parts that will require such alterations?
            I'm trying to get the shop set for the build.

Wayne
            Patrol QB on order

Comment

• spinningwrench
              spinningwrench commented
              Editing a comment
              The joggle is not shown in the plans but the need will become apparent when you try to assemble the flaps/ailerons. I expect most builders put the brackets in a vise and beat on it. I prefer a nice bend radius and holes that line up cleanly. A press is not required..

• Mark Goldberg
              Mark Goldberg commented
              Editing a comment
              And the hinges now have the joggle in them coming from the factory. Mark

That’s a nice addition to the QB

Comment

Good to hear I don't need the press. And, thank you, Mark!

Comment

Yeah the hinges are narrower than the rod end bearing. I initially thought the joggle was a bit dodgy and hard to do, and was planning on using washer(s) on the hinge instead of joggling for the rod end bearing. But due to a different mistake early on, I had "extra" hinge plates. I tried joggling. It was pretty easy to do by hand in a vice. I used a drill bit as a fulcrum for the bend. It was so easy I practiced a couple of more times, and did it on the new plates in fairly quick order.

I am not sure putting washers/spacers over the hinge bearings isn't easier initially, but removing and installing the ailerons/flaps will be easier down the road for maintenance using the joggle, which is why I did it.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                X