Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hoerner Wing Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoerner Wing Tips

I'm just getting started with sourcing parts & materials and I was wondering if anyone has had luck with any of the commercial Hoerner wingtip options?

I have fiberglass experience from some boat builds and the writeups in the forum seem pretty straightforward. MSwain's seems to be very easy to follow.
    Unfortunately, based on my previous experience I also know that custom fiberglass work has a tendency to blow up in time and expectations; there's always JUST ONE MORE sand/glass layer to remove just a few more pinholes. If there's a prefab option that gets us 90% there and I'm just fairing in some length (Caldwell style) and adding light pads then I'd be very interested.

Any recommendations or possible sources would be appreciated!

Randy at Carbon Concepts in Alaska is doing a good job with these. Not cheap but good quality work according to all who have used them. Mark

Comment

There’s a company in the Ukraine that builds composite aircraft parts. I came across them through the Cessna Cardinal group. Maxim is the guy I emailed with and he seems pretty well liked among the Cardinal folks and his parts look good in the pictures people post.

I was working on a CAD drawing to send him so he could give me a quote for tips but I got bogged down and haven’t finished it. The Ukraine is a long ways away but supposedly his pricing is good and the shipping is reasonable. I haven’t found anyone else that will make them, yet.

The Carbon Concept tips seem to be a reasonable option. IMO, they are pretty far from the ideal Hoerner shape but they probably get you most of the way there.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Thanks, I'll reach out to Carbon Concepts and see what they can do.

whee Do you have the company name? Some google searching did not yield any promising results

Comment

I find their web site to be very lacking in information about what they offer.

Comment

When dealing with Alaskan companies you learn to be patient and come to grips with “Alaskan time”. If it’s hunting season they aren’t in the shop. If they have a hobby or new interest they may not be in the shop. If you didn’t say you needed it yesterday they may not be working on it.

I’ve purchased from Randy and have more coming. The tips I ordered sometime last spring he knew I didn’t need right off so… well, now they are shipping. Lol. No biggie, just a different style of business.

pb
            Last edited by 500AGL; 11-19-2022, 09:16 PM.

Comment

I just don’t see myself investing in Horner style wingtips…. But I will ask the question, how much performance improvement do they bring?
              N678C
              https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
              Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Originally posted by Utah-Jay View Post
                I just don’t see myself investing in Horner style wingtips…. But I will ask the question, how much performance improvement do they bring?
                I seem to be seeing about 2 kts less at the low end. That was measured at the stall and also today flying circuits.
                Nev Bailey
                Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                YouTube - Build and flying channel
                Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Fork 2 knots/3mph I just don’t seem myself doing it. You guys just have more innovation in you than me. I just want to get my plane in the air asap. Plus adding wingspan could possibly hamper my space in the not yet built T-Hanger I hope to have in 11 months
                  N678C
                  https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
                  Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

• Nev
                    Nev commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree - get it flying first. One day if you want a wee side project .....there's plenty.
                Working...
                X