Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shock strut compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock strut compression

Guys,

While I am waiting on tools to complete the lower fuel system install, and since I am fooling around in the area of the lower forward fuse, I would like to work on the "Cover plates for the clearance hole where the landing gear shock strut passes through the fuselage belly skin.".

Does anyone know the maximum compression of the shock strut spring? I'm thinking that I can disconnect the strut at the base of the gear leg and swing the gear leg out, while keeping the shock strut aimed at its anchor point, and when the distance from the shock strut to the gear leg equal maximum compression I will have the maximum angle of the shock strut.

Or maybe there is a better way.

Thanks,

Wes

Keep us posted on what you figure out. I haven't come up with a good way to close that hole yet, but would sure like to. I'd say I have close to an inch of lateral movement where the shock strut passes through the belly skin.

Comment

Mine are cut to basically the exact limit of the travel. They were a fract too small to start with, but a few landings at MAUW soon sorted that out, and I made adjustments to suit. So I guess I can just measure it from that.

I have a boot over the gear leg where that hole is, which works well but isn't the lowest drag option.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Jared, I'm not likely to come up with anything new. I just need to size the hole so I can get back on the gear. I've been on saw horses since the boot cowl.

Jonathan, It would be great if you could give me a measurement. Since I am on saw horses I can get the inner limit. So, If you could give me a measurement of the travel I can go from there.

Thanks,

Wes

Comment

Hey Wes,
          At the location of the belly panel, the measurement was 12" outside to outside of the holes.

Comment

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks.

WOW! More than I expected. We have the poster board belly skin on and will clearance the hole in paper form tomorrow or the next day. Still waiting on the cutter for the fuel valve hole so started working on the skylight. We should finish that up tomorrow.

12"! That's still soaking in. Are you sure your gear isn't bent? I've heard that a bent gear will make your airplane tilt

Just kidding of course,

Wes

Comment

Hey Jonathan,

Just in from making paper dolls for the shock strut cut outs.

Sorry for my confusion, but I didn't read your post properly. I was so fixated on the end to end distance of a single hole, all I saw was 12" and freaked. I didn't even see the "outside to outside" part.

12" now makes perfect sense.

Thanks Again,

Wes

Comment

Working...
              X