Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bolt orientation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt orientation.

This build takes me so long because I always finding little things I could do better.

I wonder if I could install my lower wing strut bolt with the head facing up if used a thinner AN364 shear nut combined with a shorter bolt instead of my thicker AN365 nut? Does anyone know?

3453A076-20E6-4A3B-80C5-090205048DD2.jpg
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

I don't know for sure. But from what I know it should work since the bolt is in shear as long as the grip length is good. Also, it looks like you already did the same thing with your lower strut attach fitting bolts.

It's general practice to have bolt heads up and forward where possible, but when you can't you can't. Here's a picture of a BH with almost 600 hours on it with the bolt head down and no trouble so far. There is nothing wrong with your current configuration.

DSCF8865.jpg

Comment

Curious as to the reason not to install head up, nut down...clearance issue?

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
        Mark Goldberg commented
        Editing a comment
        yes. Much easier to insert the bolt like shown. MG

I'll expand on what Mark said and you guessed...clearance issue. If the bolt is to be inserted from the top the fabric and the fuselage former is contacted by the bolt head when trying to align it with the hole. So, mine will fly with the bolt inserted from the bottom.
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Working...
      X