Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bumped into Dan Shilling and Ursa today at Mud Strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumped into Dan Shilling and Ursa today at Mud Strip

So cool to see a Bearhawk out and about in Alaska.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

I was just thinking about Dan and was about to ask if anyone had heard from him. Glad to see him out and about!
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Comment

Looks like Dan has the stinger-style tailwheel spring on his plane now. Sounds like it's running as good as ever!

For those who don't know Dan Shilling, he's running a Subaru EG-33 engine (230hp 6-cyl), IVO Magnum prop, Autoflight PSRU (from NZ), and an SDS EFI (from Canada).
        Christopher Owens

Comment

How does he like it? I put about 8 of those in VW's for customers, and one for myself which I still have. Awesome motor. Lots of heavy stuff to change out, like the intake manifold, to get the weight down. Years ago I wanted to put one in a an airplane. But now I want an airplane more than an engine project. They are bulletproof, and electric motor smooth. I read a test report comparing vibration and harmonics for a bunch of engines 15 years ago. The EG33 was the smoothest.

Comment

Dan seems to like it, but it's probably best to talk to him directly.

Here is what I know:

He used a used engine at first, but since replaced the long block with a balanced well built unit from a respected builder. They aren't a simple engine, so you need someone that knows what they are doing.
            Performance looked very very good. It was off the ground much faster than my 170a, but then again, I had another passenger, and only a 145hp.
            Climb performance looked amazing. He was pretty high, pretty fast.
            The autoflight PSRU turns the opposite direction, so his vertical stab is mounted with the offset on the other side.
            Looking at the rod length, the subaru at 5000pm isn't much more piston speed than the IO-540. (Recalled from research I did years ago)
            Dan has a custom intake manifold that he welded up himself.
            His airplane weighs about what a IO-540 equipped bearhawk does.

Personal opinion follows:

I looked hard at the subaru engine when I decided on engines. I think the subaru is an amazing little engine and would run one in a second. What made me go the lycoming route is I wanted a real proven, certified (or like certified) propeller, and I wanted the engine to turn to the right, and I could never get completely comfortable with the PSRU as the torsional vibrations and harmonics aren't known if you aren't running a very common configuration that has had vibration testing.

Comment

I always thought Dans plane was pretty cool and I liked his Subaru install. I'm a huge fan of Subarus and love their EJ22 and 25 engines. I've never liked their EG33 engine but it seems that Dan is doing well with his.
              Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

From what I understand the EG33 is just an EJ22 with another row of cyls. I don't think an EJ22 would have enough HP to work well in a BH.

Comment

I have one in the garage that I was planning to put into my Bearhawk until the project changed direction. It’s the simplest of the sixes. No variable valve timing or any of those other fancy tech advancements of the EZs and similar that came a bit later. Meaning a lot less stuff to have to override in an aircraft application.
                  Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 10-02-2017, 05:59 PM.
                  Christopher Owens

Comment

It's been a few years since I flew with Dan.....I did note...his tail wheel stringer... if he mounted 31" bushwheels he could drag it in. As it is, it is not easy to three point. At a 55 mph the tail contacts the ground first....
                    And....I'm glad he changed out his engine... knowing the story behind the engine and then flying behind it with an oil pressure better than 20...less than 25 was well..... I spent more time identifying places to land than enjoying the scenery.

Comment

He could just build longer gear too..... My 170A is like this, I can certainly hit tail first if I want a total full stall landing, so I need to either wheel land, land a little faster in 3 point, get a smaller tailwheel, or bushwheels. I know which one I want, too bad it's really really really expensive. But I could move them to the BH when it's done.

Comment

how does one get ahold of Dan? I am seriously considering the eg33

Comment

Try dlshilling@gci.net

Comment

Working...
                          X