Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landing gear alienment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landing gear alienment.

I have poor alienment on the main landing gear on my 4 place plans built Bearhawk. I originally had installed bolt on axle system to be able to install skis using the federal stub axle system. That didn't work out. So when the axle mod came about I decided to switch back to "as plans" built to heavier axles (custom made). Great care was taken to maintain the alienment but it was lost anyways. SO. Has anyone had to alien the axles after they have been installed on the aircraft and how did they go about it??? I was thinking do heating the cluster and pulling them straight using a puller- bar arrangement bolted on the axles.

I have not had to do it but this thread about adjusting Pacer and Maule alignment is how I would do it. I used Brian's method for setting the alignment when I welded on my fittings.

Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, great to see another new person here. I recall others asking about this problem, but I haven't had it myself.

When guys have asked about axle mis-alignment before - one answer has been the same technique which you suggested:

Heat the weld cluster at the based of the axle to a nice cherry red colour with the gas torch. Then, using a long metal pipe which slips neatly and tightly over the outside of the axle, bend the axle just a small fraction. Let it cool down some, remeasure the alignment to see how much it's improved, then repeat if necessary, until all things line up.

P.S. I imagine finding the alien is the hardest part of getting the alienment right? Sorry, couldn't help myself, funny typo!

Comment

Heat and a big long pipe. Use a long straight edge or chalk line on the floor perpendicular to a longitudinal line on the floor, plumb bobs off your spinner and tail.

Comment

Welcome! See if this helps:

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. I did use the newsletter tip to find that my gear was no longer straight after the mod. It is a good method. And the heating the cluster method was my feeling as well. It is just nice to find a second opinion on a mayor fix which is going to include recovering the gear legs. I read on some other sites and planes that they were cold bending the gear but that seemed high risk to me. 4160 is almost a spring steel so is supper strong for its wall thickness. Bending cold may risk cracking or deforming the upper mounts.

Comment

Working...
            X