Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying to Alaska!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you get to the Kenai, make sure to look me up. Pm me for a phone number...

Comment

Mark, while flying over the UP of Michigan remember what it looks like, and if you do fly down to the Kenai with the exception of the mountains to me they are very similar looking see what you think

Comment

Alaskabearhawk, we are talking about heading to the Kenai. It will be at least four days or so until we might be there. We are sitting out weather, most likely the rest of todayat Sawyer Airport in Marquett MI.

Comment

Got your message Mark, sent you a pm with my phone number.

Comment

Pictures from yesterday. I modified my BH with lots of glass. The visibility and feeling of openness is terrific. You can kind of see it in the pictures below. I highly recommend expanding the transparency area. The enlarged back windows are good too because you can look back at things as you past them. To take the edge off the sun through the skylight and maintain tablet readability I put in two $5 stick on window shades from Advance Auto. They work well and weigh almost nothing.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Too bad I didn't get back to this sooner, you just passed within five miles of my home field an hour ago. Have a great trip!

Mark J

Comment

Mark, you're living the dream! Safe flying.

Comment

Yup! After visiting Paul.... Fly up the Lake Clark pass..... Then to Dillingham....then a short hop north to Platinum. Have 1491 gallons of blue gas on hand... Should be room in the hanger...place to sleep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds great Mark. We are in Grand Prairie Alberta this morning. Lots of smoke up the highway. Not sure how far we are going to get today. If anyone has some tips on getting through let me know.

Comment

Not a clue... Was stuck in Ft Nelson due to weather....couldn't fly over it....tried under it till it met the ground...turned around. I like at least 3 miles vis and a 1000 feet... What's it down to?

Comment

We made it to Ft St John. low weather half way to Ft Nelson, rain and mist, 200 agl. We are going to wait here a while and try later to day.

Comment

Any news...... Progress report please...

Comment

• alaskabearhawk
                            alaskabearhawk commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Last I saw on the tracking link he sent they made it to Carcross yesterday.

Made it to Whitehorse today. Was at carcross yesterday and atlin before that. I need an oil change tomorrow. It has been one week. Feels like at least two.

Comment

It has been a busy few days. We have been camping without easy access to internet access. My Bearhawk is doing well. I have an IO-540 with a three bladed prop, electronic ignition and fuel injection. I have been flying with a C-180 with 230 hp. I carry about the same payload, have better take off and landing performance, much better climb, but use about 2 in more manifold pressure in cruise at 125 kt true. My fuel burn is the same or slightly lower due to I suspect the electronic ignition and balanced fuel injectors. When leaned out correctly I burn about 9.8 gph at 125 kt true. The back doors are GREAT!

Comment

Below is a picture flying from Atlin to Carcross. We wanted to fly down to Skagway but the clouds were too low. We are going to try again on the way back in a week or so. We have landed on a number of gravel strips. They have been in good condition. I like operating off them. No tail wheel shimmy and they are pretty smooth. We stopped at a little known airport in Breadon just north of Whitehorse in the Yukon. We were told by a local that they have the largest burgers and cinnamon rolls around. They were right, good food and each was at least 10 inches across. Two of us split a burger and we still had leftovers. There is a gravel strip right across from the restaurant. They also have lodging or you can camp at the airport.
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Gavin Chester
                                Gavin Chester commented
                                Editing a comment
                                How are the Gopher holes in Breaburn this year ?
                            Working...
                            X