Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cargo pod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could always go with a spring gear and nix the shock struts. Would allow a more forward pod position.
    bearhawk-spring-gear.JPG

Comment

I like the spring gear! I've often thought a nice, single piece aluminum spring gear would be a great option.

Bill

Comment

Spring gear would certainly be a solution but the BH gear is one of the things I like very much about the plane. I'm a big fan of oleo gear and not much of a fan of spring gear.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I agree, the spring and damper combination is always going to out perform a bare spring. I think it's one of the best features of the Bearhawk.

Comment

I too prefer the feel of the hinged gear, such as the Bearhawk's, as opposed to the somewhat vague feel of spring gear. There are a lot of Cessnas on spring gear that are much loved, as well. Probably a matter of what one gets used to.
            What I like about the spring gear, is the simplicity of the design. Installation is easier and quite durable. Less moving parts = less to inspect and maintain. The fact that such gear would allow for a pod, is incidental to me, but might be significant for some. A nice gun-drilled tapered spring gear would be a neat option, in my mind.
            just as some build the 4 place, others like the Patrol and a dedicated group choose the LSA, it could be that some would Opt for spring gear, for reasons not pertinent to others.

Bill

Comment

Copy the Wilga for the "best" of both. I think it flies because the ground is repelled by how ugly it looks. ;-)

Comment

Here is an update on my progress towards adding a cargo pod to my Bearhawk, it will start at point C just behind the shock struts and end just behind point E.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

I have been thinking for a while about how to carry weight, and I am sure most others have gone down this road. The rear seat is easily removable and in my application will be mostly removed. I will make a stackable internal cargo frame that attaches to the rear seat fittings. That is where the heaviest stuff will go, including probably the biggest cooler that I can fit, which will also hold a fuel bladder inside if I need the gas. The second "stack" will rigidly attach to the bottom one, and will have its own seatbelts going aft for crashworthiness. Cargo shifting aft is a catastrophe, but in a crash having it crush you from behind is just as bad.

That way on the outbound leg(s) fuel/ice/liquids are carried as far forward as I can get them. Lighter camping gear in the back. This should help with CG, and help packing things safely so they don't "shift". Hopefully the return trip home the same cooler will be filled with fish etc, and the remaining ice.

I believe spring gear would.

Sort of palletized cargo for a BH. Top stack goes as High as I can without interfering with anything else.

Comment

Welding thick mounting tabs to thin tubing gives me the willies. I would consider adding doublers to the tabs to spread the point loads on the longerons.

This is just my opinion and it is worth what you paid for it.

Comment

Some day...will build a belly pod and lumber rack for my Pacer...as I run out of space before hitting gross weight. The main reason is a place to store the bulky insulated cowl blanket, wing, windshield and tail covers.. the second reason for both the Pacer and Bearhawk is for messy items..like salmon and bloody game...the Pacer will get a fuel cell...Bearhawk...maybe. The pod and lumber rack will attach to the float fittings aft and the rear gear leg mounts. One thought is a two piece belly pod, the front section could contain a fuel cell, coped to clear the Oleo struts, aft piece for cargo. One question... I know I can get away with a load suspended under the aircraft...one of those only in Alaska rules in addition to flying at 115% of gross...what are the rules for belly pods in the lower 48?

Comment

I added tabs on both sides of the eight attach points for a future cargo pod to spread the load and to make sure it cant twist down. For now that is as far as I will go, get it flying and then I will start with the design of the cargo pod.
                      This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

This is the basic frame for the cargo pod, more aluminum structure will be added that will be giving support to the fiberglass body that will form the pod.
                        This gallery has 7 photos.

Comment

I am not even contemplating a cargo pod, but if you really wanted one, and wanted it to be useful, how about putting the shock struts above the gear instead of below, ala the SuperStol? Take the load up to the wing attach area to spread the load. That would open up the bottom so you could put the pod much farther forward.

Comment

• Gerhard Rieger
                            Gerhard Rieger commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I do not want it that big, too many engineering changes, 200 to 250 lbs not many Bearhawks will go to 2700 lbs, by moving some of the cargo forward under the centre of lift I will be able to carry 4 and baggage, I am fitting the Aux tanks and with them filled it will be easier to achieve a better COG. But with them empty its a different story. I just want to have options, once the covering has been done it will be a costly affair. So adding the cargo pod is not about trying to carry more weight, but to distribute the load more evenly.
                        Working...
                        X