Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric trim servo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whee
    Sounds good to me Mark. FYI, you can get a servo with a metal rod (Bristol SG B6-11T).

I have the small trim tabs, I don't want to do any welding on my elevator and in my opinion with the small tabs you need both. Think your servo could be mounted in the fuselage and drive both tabs through push/pull cables kinda like Pat F. did?
    Can be mounted inside and use Pat's set up to the trim Tabs. Schu wants servos on both of his tabs... Today he said he might consider welding one solid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Battson
      A slight aside:

In terms of the set-point for take-off, I have noticed that the best T/O trim setting varies depending on where the CG is. These days, I set my T/O trim depending on the CG.
      At forward CG locations, having the trim tabs set to trail in-line with the elevator yields the best results.
      The further aft the CG, the more 'nose down' I set the trim for T/O. This prevents the aircraft wanting to "zoom" upward immediately after you break ground, and reduces pilot workload post lift-off.
      Under stand that...I adjusted the Pacer trim indicator forward of the take off position when the CG was aft. One point Schu made was the FAA requirement for a certify electric trim is a position indicator. He mentioned talking to a carbon cub rep about the lack of an indicator on they're certified set up. Was told the FAA work around was to add to the condition preflight check list a requirement to check/insure the trim tab was in the neutral position before take off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Following up to see if there is any update to this thread? Did the actuator prove successful?
        Has anyone else installed an electric trim actuator inside the elevator?
        Presumably doing so would remove the servo tab assistance action of the trim tab, if so, how did it work out?
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
        YouTube - Build and flying channel
        Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

There is another thread on electric trim and removing the servo feature. I believe they liked it.

Comment

I am also quite interested in following this story

i have read about Battsons instal and Pat Fagans as well, just not sure where this idea went, seemed promising...

when I was doing some training with Budd Davisson in December he was convincing when speaking about the Benefit of removing the servo action

syvolo could you post a link to the thread you refer to thanks
            DDD

Comment

Working...
            X