Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flap and aileron leading edge rivet selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flap and aileron leading edge rivet selection

What are mosr guys using on these leading edges for rivets? Make and round or flush thanks once again

For nose skin to nose ribs: CHERRY "N" RIVET, 120 DEGREE, FLUSH HEAD, ALUM SLEEVE, & ALUM STEM.

Item # AAC-42 from Wick's. Ten cents each when you buy 100+.

Solid flush otherwise (AN426AD)
    Last edited by marcusofcotton; 04-08-2016, 02:34 PM.

Comment

And I would simple skin and nose rib with 120 degree dimple die correct? would the same dimple die be used dor both the skin and the nose rib? I Have read about sub structure 3/32 dimple dies that dimple bottom structure a bit deeper than the top sheet so skin nestles into sub structture better, but I have not seen anything similat for 1/8 100 degree rivets or 120 degree blind rivets, so I would assume both the nose skins and nose ribs beneath would be dimpled with the same dimple die set? Any input on this subject would be appreciated, as I would like to get these dimple dies I require to dimple skins in near future.
      Last edited by Gary Wallace; 04-09-2016, 05:31 PM.

Comment

In this application I did some checking to be sure of fit with my standard 100 degree dimple dies. Excellent fit, saw no room for improvement. As a bonus, with the AAC-42 Cherry rivet, you get a name brand rivet, without the galvanic corrosion issues of steel shank or stainless steel. And of course with the countersinking you gain strength as compared to round heads. As always, do some trials before working on the real thing. I used stainless steel for the lead filled balance tube, again for corrosion concerns (and Bob's call out on the plans), also from Wick's - #CCC-44.

Comment

I used these rivets from Wicks: I have used these rivets for decades on both wings and structural chassis panels on race cars. They expand to fill the hole and the blind side flares nicely and gives very good clamping strength.

I think that the Cherry Max rivet is superior but the Avex rivet is a good second choice and a lot less expensive.

I have not been satisfied with SS pop rivets. I did use 1/8 Avex rivets in place of 3/32 SS that were called out in the drawings.
          Last edited by S Lathrop; 04-09-2016, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Not to resurrect zombie threads as a matter of habit, but seems like the recommended AAC-42 rivet is a little shy on grip range.

(in inches) 0.025 nose rib on aileron + 0.020 skin = 0.045; AAC-42 grip range 0.063-0.125)

Q: Does the 100 deg dimple on 120 deg rivet address that with some spring action, or is grip at this end of the range a non-issue?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X