Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steen tail flying wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steen tail flying wires

I called Steen Aero Lab to order the tail flying wires for my 4-place Bearhawk. They took my order but said they could save us a lot of money if they could send in at least 5 orders. I then talked to Mark Goldberg and he suggested I put this out on the forum to see if anyone else is ready to order the tail wires. The same wires are also used on the Patrol. If so, please call Steen at (321)725-4160 and place your order. I believe the Steen rep said after they place the order there is still a 5-6 week lead time to manufacture.

whats the price if we get 5 orders?

Comment

IIRC, the price for the last "group buy" was still obscene, but significantly less so than for a single-order! LOL
      Jim Parker
      Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
      RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Exactly as you say Jim. They said they would give the price quote when we could get 5 orders together.

Comment

Has anyone found alternatives to the Steen/Brunton wires? I'm fine to go with round wires if necessary, even with their corresponding increase in drag.

Comment

As an alternative to the Steen/Brunton wires, I used 5/32" 1X19 stainless cables with MS21259 stud (left and right) swaged ends. Don't use the MS21260 turnbuckle ends as they have less threads for adjustment. Several of us have used this method and it is "Bob" approved! If you are going with the round wires anyway, this will save you a LOT...

Collin

Comment

• DesertBearhawk
              DesertBearhawk commented
              Editing a comment
              Thats the plan for me!

• SC Patrol 253
              SC Patrol 253 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the idea. If I ever finish these wings, I'll likely go that route.

I got my flying wires from the guy in NZ. I think he matched the Steen group price and lead time was about the same, 6ish weeks. If I could go back and do it again I'd do the same as what Collin did and use cables with rotary swaged ends.
            Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I went with the Steen/Brunton wires. Flat for the uppers, round for the lowers. I would have preferred the aerodynamic "flat" wires everywhere, but there is some evidence (Piper ADs, etc.) that round wires survive hits from gravel and other objects much better than the aero wires.
              Jim Parker
              Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
              RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Don't know if it would work for the four place or Patrol, but for my LSA I was able to dig through documentation on the Univair site to come up with standard wires to fit. IIRC, it was a mix of Citabria and Cub wires. The set without ends was around $225 and were available off the shelf.

Comment

• lsa140
                  lsa140 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What kind of wires did you get BTAZ? Round or streamlined? Have you mounted them up?

Just for reference, I was involved in the group buy back in March 2015.

$120 each for streamlined wires
                Clevis ends, 8 required.
                $32/ea for stainless
                $20/ea for cad plated

Shipping was another $50

Comment

• BAnton
                  BAnton commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, good information. Gives us a good idea of approximate cost.

April 2007 issue of Bear Tracks has drawings, manufacturing, and installation Bob Barrows round tail wires made of 1/4" 4130 steel rod. It includes both the tail wires and the tail wire attach fittings.

Additionally, I have wondered about 1/4" streamline tubing from the Hobby Express might be an idea to use compete with the streamlined flying wires for drag reduction.

$4 for a 35" piece....http://www.hobbyexpress.com/aluminum_tubing_423_ctg.htm
                Last edited by Bcone1381; 09-15-2016, 11:04 AM.
                Brooks Cone
                Southeast Michigan
                Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Originally posted by Bcone1381 View Post
                  April 2007 issue of Bear Tracks has drawings, manufacturing, and installation Bob Barrows round tail wires made of 1/4" 4130 steel rod. It includes both the tail wires and the tail wire attach fittings.

Additionally, I have wondered about 1/4" streamline tubing from the Hobby Express might be an idea to use compete with the streamlined flying wires for drag reduction.

$4 for a 35" piece....http://www.hobbyexpress.com/aluminum_tubing_423_ctg.htm
                  I'm pretty leery of that for critical structural members.

Comment

• patrickh99
                    patrickh99 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think the idea is to place the streamline tubing over the round wires for a drag reduction fairing, non-structural. Just have to figure out an easy way to inspect what is under the cover.

• marcusofcotton
                    marcusofcotton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ahh yes of course Patrick, I remember the discussion now. Also the need to secure the tubing so it can't rotate and cause flutter of the cable. Thanks for the reminder.
                Working...
                X