Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vans RV10 Baffle Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vans RV10 Baffle Kit

For those that are flying or have experience with the RV10 baffle kit and the Lycoming 540. Did you install the baffle that separates the upper forward portion of the engine? It seems a bit odd to have it there. Maybe it's an RV-specific feature? Does it help?

Paul,

I haven't done my 540 install on the Bearhawk yet, but I did install Van's IO-360 baffle kit on my RV-8. My understanding is that there is a lot of pressure created on the top of the engine an if you don't install that forward bit of the baffle. a lot of that pressure will go forward out through the spinner opening and really effect your cooling.

-------------------
    Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Bearhawk's are almost notorious for running hot, for a whole range of reasons.

I used the RV baffle kit. I think the baffle coverage achieved by the RV kit should be considered the bare minimum. I had to add several extra pieces to completely seal the engine. My approach was, any gap you can get your little finger into is too large to accept.

The approach you often see used in a Cessna 180/185 where much of the crankshaft is sitting in open air isn't suitable for Bearhawk. Too much air would escape to the underside of the engine.

This is what I did with the front baffle:

Comment

I saw a photo of a carbon fiber plenum on a O-360 a while back. It seems like a solid solution if you could get one.

Comment

Paul,
          Don't know if this helps.....I used Vans drawings to get an idea to fab the front baffle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Mark...that helps.

Comment

I just spent about an hour trying to get the #6 Baffle into place from the Van's baffle kit. Is there some super secret origami trick to getting it into place without buggering it all up, or is it easier just to take off the rear pushrod tube and make it a lot easier?

Comment

• svyolo
                svyolo commented
                Editing a comment
                Finally got it in place. I might make it a 2 piece to make it easier to install.

I'm having the same issues as svyolo with the baffle behind cylinder #6. It is a real booger to get in and out....not easy at all and scrapes a lot of paint, especially on the aft push rod tube. Any suggestions on what others may have done to modify the baffle so it can actually be removed without forcing things? I went to Vans forums and no help there.

Number six cylinder baffle.jpg

Comment

• Bcone1381
                Bcone1381 commented
                Editing a comment
                No.....its been a while since I dealt with this....will be get back there in a few months....watching for a good answer.
            Working...
            X