Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Filler Neck Sealing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Filler Neck Sealing

Hey All... Hangars are an expensive luxury in Alaska so my BH will most likely be parked outside. I always worried about water getting into the wing through the filler neck opening in the top wing skin. Does anyone have any thoughts on the most effective way to seal this opening? Alternatives? Thanks...

Bead of silicone covering the edge of the skin?

Comment

There is a bellows type seal (face seal) that fits on the filler neck that works, I will look up the part number for you. I used it on the 4plc and will be using it on the patrol.

Comment

IMG_1813.PNGIMG_1814.PNGHere is the seal

Comment

• jaredyates
          jaredyates commented
          Editing a comment
          How does that one drain fuel? it seems like it would have a little collection point.

• Gavin Chester
          Gavin Chester commented
          Editing a comment
          The lip is almost flat when pressed against the doubler on the inside of the wing skin and the main body fits tight to the filler neck. The gap left is only the space between the skin and neck. As the lip is flexible the seal does not transfer any loads to either the tank or skin to promote wear. They are made for grease, oil, gas etc.and are only 3 or 4 dollars ca each,

Silicone might not have enough fuel resistance. I used Lexel and while not 100% fuel proof, it has held up ok for 3 years. It has held its shape, but has turned blue.

Comment

WagAero has a rubber filler neck seal. I bought one for my Marquart Charger.

Comment

I made a ring out of neoprene, and affixed it to the inside of the wing skin with epoxy. It works fine and cost nothing.

Comment

Working...
            X