Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Capstrip material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capstrip material

Does anyone know where I might find 14' lengths of 1/8" X 3/4" 6061-T6 bar for the rear capstrips. All of the online sites seem to have 12' maximum length.

Does Wicks offer it? You might have to call to ask if it doesn't show on their site.

Comment

It's been a few years, but Wicks was the only place I could find it at the time.

Comment

I do not remember where I got my cap strips, Wicks most likely. But they were drawn or extruded bars and not something cut from sheet. This fact may help your search.

I have a few extra pieces.

Comment

Thank you all for your info. It seems I remembered several people in past posts mentioning Wicks, but their website shows 12' max length. I will call them tomorrow to see if they carry the 14' lengths.

Comment

Make sure to tell Wicks it's for a Bearhawk. They were giving discounts to us when I ordered mine.
            Walley
            BH 4 Place Plans #1352
            Sacramento CA

Comment

Wicks customer service blows! I hope you can find them elsewhere, if you do post so I can go there too!
              Dave Bottita The Desert Bearhawk
              Project Plans #1299
              N1208 reserved www.facebook.com/desertbearhawk/

Comment

For what it's worth, wicks has always been reasonable with me.

Comment

Has anyone used 6063T6 for the 14" rear capstrips?

Comment

6063 is markedly weaker than 6061. It wouldn't be on my to-do list.
                    Christopher Owens
                    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• Launchie
                      Launchie commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Chris

Originally posted by Launchie View Post
                    Has anyone used 6063T6 for the 14" rear capstrips?
                    I would run the 6063 idea by Bob, he can tell you if it would be suitable. If you do talk to Bob about it, it would be nice to have his answer on this thread.

Comment

I never saw an answer of where to get this. Wicks indicates that 12' is max length, and they will not ship over 8ft. Also something that long is easily bent in shipping (link http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraf...6-aluminum-bar)
                      In adding up the raw materials for 2 wings I am up around $2,000.00 without the 6061 cap strips for the rear spar (assuming no loss of material do to rework), and I thought I saw Avi Pro selling wing and spar web components for $3500.00 with the ribs professionally hydro-formed, and the spar webs bent to match ribs. Has anyone tried the Avi Pro Component set? Does it include all the "Aluminum components" including 14' cap strips, and found it of a good value? And are my numbers of about 2,000 or 2,200 correct for the Raw Materials and rivets to get the wing skeleton built and ready for skinning?
                      Last edited by Qboiler; 08-14-2017, 01:08 AM. Reason: add wicks link
                      4-place bravo plans #1445B.
                      Build start date, Aug 1, 2017
                      Cell- 773 21 QUANT (Bearhawk calls welcome)
                      No website yet.

Comment

Just called wicks, they do sell the 14 foot rear spar cap strips. You have to call, and order over the phone, as the website does not list the item. Shipping is about $200 in the us. Say your building a bearhawk
                        4-place bravo plans #1445B.
                        Build start date, Aug 1, 2017
                        Cell- 773 21 QUANT (Bearhawk calls welcome)
                        No website yet.

Comment

I seem to recall that's the trick. You have to call them.
                          Christopher Owens
                          Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                          Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                          Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Just an idea for those in my neighborhood; Affiliated Metals in Salt Lake City is a good source for aluminum and they cut to size for a reasonable price. It is even likely they would have the correct flat bar in stock. It's only a 3hr drive for me to get to SLC but they can ship me full sheets for less $$$ that the fuel it would cost me to go get it. If I were scratch building wings they would be my first call.
                            Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Working...
                            X