Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throttle, mixture, prop cable source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle, mixture, prop cable source?

I'm in the market for control cables and notice they can be worth a house payment on Aircraft Spruce. I found some on Vans that look more reasonably priced. Is there a source and model some of you have found that you like?

Oh, and lengths if there is such a thing as a "close" to normal for a 540?

Comment

On the T/P/M I'm using the ACS line that Aircraft Spruce sells, with no complaints. Mcfarlane seems to be the cadilac option, priced accordingly. I'm using one of their push to unlock controls on the carb heat and it is quite elegant. No help on the length due to having a 360, sorry! It is worth noting that sometimes the prop governor is on the front of the engine, and mine is on the back. As I recall, they are on the order of 48 inches. 10/32 thread on the throttle and prop, and a bare wire on the mixture if I remember correctly.

Comment

Like Jared said, the ACS line of controls is reasonably priced and gets good reviews. That's what I plan to buy.

Related question if I may: What spacing between the controls did you guys use? Also, the drilled hole is 1/2" but how much room do you need around the hole. I gave myself 1/2" above the hole and 1/2" below the hole (1.5" total above the tube) but my center stack is looking to be pretty tight and I really could use another 1/2" to fit future avionics.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I have used these guys for control cables for years. Good Stuff. Down side is they do not make control cables specifically for engine controls in aircrafts. http://www.controlcables.com.

I am using their cables else where on my project.

Comment

For the prop control I bought from Vans because it included the bracket for mounting it on the front top of the engine. It looks suspiciously like the ACS prop control. For throttle and mixture I got the vernier assist controls that McFarlane makes. They are vernier controls but can be pushed or pulled for large movements without any button to push, available for experimental aircraft only.
            mcfarlaneaviation.com

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
              Like Jared said, the ACS line of controls is reasonably priced and gets good reviews. That's what I plan to buy.

Related question if I may: What spacing between the controls did you guys use? Also, the drilled hole is 1/2" but how much room do you need around the hole. I gave myself 1/2" above the hole and 1/2" below the hole (1.5" total above the tube) but my center stack is looking to be pretty tight and I really could use another 1/2" to fit future avionics.
              I used 2" spacing for the main engine controls.

Comment

Originally posted by rodsmith View Post

I used 2" spacing for the main engine controls.
                I assume that is the spacing between the knobs? What is the drilled hole center to center spacing if you happen to know that? I'm actually looking at these more for panel spacing right now than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Ripp View Post

I assume that is the spacing between the knobs? What is the drilled hole center to center spacing if you happen to know that? I'm actually looking at these more for panel spacing right now than anything.
                  2" spacing of hole centers.

Comment

Two inch spacing might be a little close. Mine are three inch spacing. The knobs are 1 716 dia. I also wanted enough space between the knobs so that I could operate the controls with a glove or mitten. I would not put them on below the tube again if I had to do it again. I have a Garmin com and intercom above with a remote transponder. There is plenty of room above for a Garmin 430 or 530 along with the controls moved above the tube.
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Jared noted that he used 10-32 ends on his cables. Whats everybody else using? I thought I'd go with 1/4-28 ends but maybe that's overkill? My cables need to be fairly long; 56" for throttle and 63" for prop and mixture.
                      Last edited by whee; 02-02-2018, 03:14 PM.
                      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

All 10-32 rod ends.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                        X