Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

moving the front seats back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving the front seats back

Hey all,

quick question how hard would it be to move the front seats back? or at least the left seat?

I'm a tall guy, and after finally getting to see the 4 place in person I had a hard time getting in. in my 172 the seat goes way back so I can sit and swing me legs in.

The one I sat in was a kit build and the guy said that was as far back as they go.

You could modify it to go further back. However, as the seat moves back, it also moves down. So it can only go so far "back". I'd have to measure it, but I imagine with a modification, you get get it to go a another 4" or so back.
    Bobby Stokes
    4-Place Kit Builder
    Queen Creek, AZ
    http://azbearhawk.com

Comment

About 4" is what I would need, I'd also like to make the seats sit lower for more headroom. if they move down when they move back, that just sounds like a bonus.

Comment

How tall are you?

A BH will always be harder to get in due to the stick and strut being where they are.

I’m 6’1” and fly with my seat almost all the way forward. If I slide my seat all the way back I can barely reach the pedals with my tip-toes; you must be like 7’ or stiff as a bored. Maybe yoga is the solution😉

If you want to lower the see so you can see out the side you’ll also be making it harder to see out the front during landings. The BH is just one of those planes where your head is up in the wing root.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

You must be really tall as a 7 ft guy has sat in my BH and pronounced it better than most planes he had ever sat in. Some of what you saw in the plane you sat in might be just how that particular builder finished his plane out. Mark

Comment

• Bcone1381
            Bcone1381 commented
            Editing a comment
            ....like the thickness of the seat cushions.

• Korben88
            Korben88 commented
            Editing a comment
            that is possible. the fellow that let me sit in his was quite short.
            he mentioned that he had extra padding on the seat to sit up higher and I tried to account for that in my head, but didn't say anything about modifying the rails or seat position.
            Last edited by Korben88; 06-16-2019, 03:57 PM.

I had this very conversation with Mark and Bob when I first bought my kit. You may want to really give that some consideration before you modify the seat position. I'm 6'3" and felt it was a little tight for me. I don't thinks it's always height but rather leg length vs. torso. Maybe we should talk in terms of inseam instead of height.<g>. I modified my left seat by extending the lower arm of the seat back by about 1 or 1.5 inches. I simply cut the ends off where the bolt goes through to the seat bottom and rosette welded an inner tube for extension strength. I also welded angles at the back of the seat bottom to support the rear tube of the seat back. However, I now think that was a mistake. I've discovered that it does allow much easier access, however, I must pull the seat forward after getting in. That is almost impossible with your weight in the seat and the angle you are sitting in a taildragger. I also found I ended up pulling the seat up almost to where it would have been most rearward unmodified position.

I'm not sure why it seems different to me now. It could be that I was assuming I would be using more foam on the seatback than I actually am. I'm probably now going to change mine back to it's original configuration. Just my two cents' worth after having been there and done that.
          Larry Driver
          Bearhawk 4-Place Quickbuild N22LD
          Mogollon Airpark, Overgaard AZ

Comment

• Korben88
            Korben88 commented
            Editing a comment
            that is a good point I hadn't thought of.

As another datapoint. I'm 6' 4" (34" inseam) and although it was a bit tricky at first getting in and out of the plane, it's not problem for me at all now. I just jump in and go. You learn little tricks to make it easy. I leave my seat in the furthest back factory position and that's where I fly from also.

Head room was a consideration for me also, especially with a headset on. So I didn't put a head liner in the forward cab. Works great!
          Last edited by swpilot3; 06-16-2019, 01:50 AM.
          Bobby Stokes
          4-Place Kit Builder
          Queen Creek, AZ
          http://azbearhawk.com

Comment

Question: When the seat is in it it’s furthest aft position where is the front tube of the seat bottom in relation to the crosswise airframe tube the seat rests on?

My plane is scratch built but the seats are factory.

As I said before I’m 6’1” and have a 31” inseam. I leave my seat at the second notch from furthest forward. My dad, who is the same height and inseam doesn’t move the seat either.
            Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• 22LD
              22LD commented
              Editing a comment
              Whee, my front seat tube is 1-5/8" forward of the crosswise airframe tube.

I also have a 34" inseam. Yes, getting in and out seem awkward, but I remember the same with my RV7. But quickly it becomes routine and I've already kind come up with a system for getting in and out of the Bearhawk. Doesn't seem near as challenging as the first time.

As for headroom, it would have also been tight for me with headphones. I did not install and headliner but did close out the center "tunnel" section with light aluminum... basically a U-shaped box in three pieces that come down for the stringers and under the tubes. Looks nice, adds a place for map lights, and hides the trim system.

Originally posted by whee View Post
            How tall are you?

A BH will always be harder to get in due to the stick and strut being where they are.

I’m 6’1” and fly with my seat almost all the way forward. If I slide my seat all the way back I can barely reach the pedals with my tip-toes; you must be like 7’ or stiff as a bored. Maybe yoga is the solution😉

If you want to lower the see so you can see out the side you’ll also be making it harder to see out the front during landings. The BH is just one of those planes where your head is up in the wing root.
            I'm 6'4",but also pretty big (290) mostly my issue is that I have a wonky right knee.
            the seat position is okay when i'm sitting in it. My problem is getting in and out. on the 172 i can put the seat way back to get in and out.

Comment

Originally posted by Korben88 View Post

I'm 6'4",but also pretty big (290) mostly my issue is that I have a wonky right knee.
              the seat position is okay when i'm sitting in it. My problem is getting in and out. on the 172 i can put the seat way back to get in and out.
              Technique is a big part of getting in and out gracefully, like swpilot said. I can understand that a bad knee might prevent a graceful exit.

I am 6'2" and my brother is 6'4", we find that if you sit on top of the seat-back until both legs are inside, then slide down into the seat, things work out great.
              That said, I would sometimes like the seats further back when I have a 6'4" person in the front with me, knees get close to the mixture control and flap handle.

Comment

Working...
              X