Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil cooler location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil cooler location

I am planning on mounting oil cooler on firewall with 4inch scat complete with butterfly damper. I have read that someone mentioned engine noise transfer to firewall with this setup. My other option would be mounting it to motor mount ...i prefer the firewall but not sure about engine noise issue. As usual any input would be appreciated.

You have a 540 right Gary? I suggest leaving the butterfly damper until after you're flying, if you ever need one, I would put money on you not needing it.

Comment

No...O360...more than one person has suggested it is all im going by at this piint

Comment

• Battson
        Battson commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah - OK - my bad.

First off, my oil cooler was in a baffle. Then I moved oil cooler to the engine mount secured with clamps. I have also flown a number of hours in ZK-FHR which has the cooler on the firewall, and also has firewall insulation.

I never noticed a difference in noise between the different configurations. We all have straight exhaust pipes, though. Good ear protection is much cheaper than an insulated and muffled plane.

Comment

Sounds good...with ear protection! Sticking with firewall plan. Thanks again

Comment

Mine is on the left side on the lower engine mount. I have noticed several that use a firewall mount on the right side. I am not sure if that comes with the RV-10 FWF kit, but I am guessing that it is. If I was going to do it again, I would probably go that route. A store bought solution would have saved me a lot of time and effort.

Comment

Working...
          X