Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Centurion and Gladiator cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centurion and Gladiator cylinders

I recently came across an article about new water cooled cylinders to fit Lycoming 4 and 6 cylinders made by AC Aero.
    Does anyone know much about them? They claim 350 hp from 6 cylinder and 220 hp from 4 cylinder with less weight.
    They claim 42 and 28 lb weight reduction, respectively and able to run auto gas. They do increase the displacement substantially to achieve this and offer a stroker crank for further increases.
    My question would be- would it be necessary to strengthen the 4 and 6 cylinder motor mounts to accommodate the increased HP and torque.
    i think the weight savings will be offset by radiator and coolant weight but to get that kind of HP to weight would be a big gain.

I have seen that guys website for several years now. He is also claiming to be developing diesels. For the most part all I see is CAD images, although I think I did see an actual picture of the water cooled Lycoming cylinders.

Sounds like a great idea, but unfortunately aviation has always been full of great ideas, and people willing to fund it with deposit money.

Comment

I've been watching that to. I'd love to have water cooling. But until I see some of them out there in action, it's vaporware. That and until I need a top end, I'm not going to be just throwing good jugs away.

Comment

They've been running them at Reno. Supposedly available to normal consumers now too. 4cyl versions are around $18k iirc, stroker kits are similar prices. Combined is something like 450 CI and 600 for the 6 cyl. But they're claiming 300hp from the 4cyl...
        https://www.youtube.com/user/fastfox23
        Patrol plans #398

Comment

• svyolo
          svyolo commented
          Editing a comment
          They sell stroker kits which are still air cooled. I didn't see that they are running their water cooled cylinders at Reno yet but I could be mistaken.

I’d like water cooling but this is just more 1930s tech. Franklin engines developed water jackets for their engine for automotive use in the 30s.

I think a properly engineered and manufactured psru coupled to a modern auto engine would be a massively better solution.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• zkelley2
          zkelley2 commented
          Editing a comment
          I do to, but I've yet to see anyone produce such a thing except rotax with their 1980s tech 912.

I guess you could say the Continental Diesels got their start that way. But hold on to your wallet.

After years of advertising, no picture or video of a running engine, they are going to deliver 4 different cylinder kits, and 4 completely different engines to customers in the next 5-7 months. That includes a V-12.

Did I mention no pictures of a single prototype engine, and no videos of one running? That is according to their website, under "Reservations".

Comment

I’ve put a deposit on a stroker kit and water cooled cylinders! 😜🤪😞😒🙁☹️

id love to see a proven 5.3 Chevy PSRU kit. It appeals to my hot rodder heart!
          Bearhawk 4 Place Model B
          Plans #1552
          EAA Chapter 59

Comment

• Russellmn
            Russellmn commented
            Editing a comment
            Please keep us updated on how long it takes to get them and what you think of them when you do! Curious to see if the quality is there.
        Working...
        X