Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorcraft belt drive alternator/ voltage regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcraft belt drive alternator/ voltage regulator

I'm looking for input/opinions. Currently I have a one wire voltage regulator mounted to the motorcraft alternator.this doesn't require a field wire connection. The other option is a firewall mounted external voltage regulator which requires a bit more wiring. Is there pros and cons to both?? I'm not really up on this so any advice would be helpful. Thanks. Gary

A lot depends on how important electricity is to your airplane.

Comment

I will be running a single electronic ignition and a single magneto. So, I would consider it fairly important..would the external regulator be a bit more reliable in anyones' opinion. I would almost think so. Thanks.
      Last edited by Gary Wallace; 11-15-2021, 05:32 PM.

Comment

If you might ever want to run a lithium battery, you will either need to use the external regulator, or a modofied internal regulator like what is found in the plane power line. Standard auto alternators don't allow for absolute and automatic overvoltage protection. Personally, I would not have an alternator without crowbar overvoltage protection. It's just too cheap and avionics are too expensive.

Comment

The least reliable part of alternators is the VR. If the VR is external, you just have to swap the VR. If is internal, you swap the whole alternator. I think there are some pretty inexpensive external Vrs out there. Like 25 bucks.
          Last edited by svyolo; 11-15-2021, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Went with the LR3D-14 voltage regulator. I think it's a good choice.

Comment

• svyolo
              svyolo commented
              Editing a comment
              I did as well, just for the over voltage protection.

Gary, do you have a picture of the back of your motorcraft alternator. If so, would you mind posting it? I'm curious about which alternator you have.
            David

Comment

David....I can't get a pic to this thread. Please send me your email and I'll send you a pic

Comment

Working...
            X