Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight difference between Bob leaf tailwheel and stinger tailwheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight difference between Bob leaf tailwheel and stinger tailwheel

Does anyone know the weight difference/savings between the standard Bob tailwheel with leafs and the stinger tailwheel. Also, what is involved to switch them out on a completed bearhawk?

Somewhere here I posted the weights. If I recall correctly the weight difference is basically negligible.

I switched from a leaf setup to a stinger. It’s not exactly a straight forward swap but it isn’t challenging either. Takes an adapter and a tail post insert.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

K thanks....just wondering if any benefit to switching it out for less tail weight. Hardly sounds like it.will try to find your post

Comment

I haven’t found the post yet but will look again later. There isn’t a weight benefit but IMO the stinger setup of far superior.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Hi Gary,

Same weight on the two different Tailwheels. I’m not sure about leaf spring vs. round spring weight difference.

Eric Newton
          Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder Manuals
          Rugged Tailwheels for your experimental aircraft. Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC manufactures the original Bearhawk Tailwheel for bush flying.
          Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
          Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
          http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

I am not flying yet, but hypothetically the Stinger should be better than a leaf spring. A stinger is not directionally biased, it will bend as needed 360 degrees, a leaf spring is only up and down.

The stinger should be easier on the fuselage in the event of a side load.
            N678C
            https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
            Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

• Battson
              Battson commented
              Editing a comment
              We used to think that too. Experience is showing they are perhaps equal, or perhaps the stinger is actually less able to protect the fuselage from side loads.

One advantage of the stinger is that there may be less drag than a flat spring set up. Definitely a difference in the spring widths hanging out in the air.

Comment

The stinger t/w weighs 6.8 lbs. The stinger weighs 3.2 lbs. Does not include the weight of the stinger to t/w attach hardware, (2) 1/4" bolts, (4) washers and (2) nuts.
              Gerry

Comment

Working...
              X