Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine mount fabrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine mount fabrication

I recently received my engine and fabricated the mount using Eric Newton's manual and Russ Erb's pictures as a guide. I bolted one of the engine mount isolators together an measured it's compressed thickness, then used washers to simulate that thickness when welding the mount together. I leveled the fuselage fore/aft and side to side then used a laser to establish crankshaft to thrust line orientation ensuring the engine was also level. After the mount was complete I bolted the engine up using the actual isolators and found that it was not level, it sagged a little. This makes sense because the weight of the engine compresses the isolators unevenly, the forward isolator is compressed on top mounts and rear isolator compressed on the bottom mounts. I didn't account for this when fabricating the mount, and it doesn't seem that Eric did either - or didn't include that detail.

Is this even an issue? Will the engine "pull" itself up to centerline when generating thrust? I haven't attempted to measure what nose down angle the engine makes relative to the fuselage, it can't be a lot, but it's enough for me to see on a level. If it is an issue can I just stack some washers under the bottom mounts to bring it back up to level?
    IMG_9555.jpg

Since neither Bob (in the original Bearhawk Book) nor Eric Newton say anything about accounting for isolator sag when building a mount, I would be surprised if it is a problem. However, it's normal for the engine to sag further over time so if you think it is excessive now, it might be worth further checking. I know that various washers/shims are commonly used in the certified aircraft world to compensate for it.

Comment

• RatherBFlying
      RatherBFlying commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s what I was hoping gregc, nobody mentioned it so maybe it’s not a big deal?

You'll be fine. The main concern is the alignment of the crankshaft centerline with the fuselage centerline in the horizontal plane, i.e. laterally. That needs to be as spot-on as possible. The vertical component is small and a bump of the trim wheel will take care of anything, if you need it at all. If it does become an issue later on you can always add a washer or two like gregc suggested.

Comment

• RatherBFlying
      RatherBFlying commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Paul, that makes sense.

are engine mounts generally made out of traditional cro-mo tubing --- or --- are they made out of something like seamless low carbon alloy for more fatigue resistance ? I thought I remembered reading that some where- or maybe it could have been the engine mount bolts were soft alloy---- cant remember.
    Perhaps the whole thing is a false memory implanted by the grey aliens :-)

Comment

• RatherBFlying
      RatherBFlying commented
      Editing a comment
      Bob calls out 4130 tubing for the engine mount itself, same as the airframe. AFAIK the bolts are standard aviation grade hardware.
Working...
X