Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

aluminum stringer bending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminum stringer bending

Thought you guys might like to see how I have bent these aluminum extrusion stringers so they are happy to wrap a little to the bends required. Not very precise, but it seems to work OK. The stringer wants to bend sideways also so attention is required to keep them straight. I just stand on them and use my weight. But if they bend a little sideways they can be straightened easily. Just to take some of the stress out of the stringers where they have bends. Mark
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Sometimes it is the simplest ideas that are the best...
    Jim Parker
    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
    RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

thanks for that tip Mark Im almost to that point in my build and was thinking about how I was going to do that.

Comment

I saw several different posts on bending stringers. Some made of metal and some made of wood. I took ideas from others and quickly threw this together with a piece of plywood and a thin piece of poplar. I was going to put another piece of plywood on the outside to make a sandwich but I discovered it was not necessary. The stringer material did not twist at all. The bottom round piece of poplar has a 4" radius. I marked the stringer where I wanted bends and pulled the stringer down to make a bend. Very easy to work along and add a bend. You can also take a little bend out by turning the stringer around.

IMG_2457.jpg
        John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Working...
        X