Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib lacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rib lacing

Could someone please tell me exactly what needs rib lacing? Elevators, rudder, ailerons, flaps?

Thanks​​​​​​

Yes. Everything you mentioned. Plus the vertical stabilizer and horizontal stabilizer.
    In a sepaarate, but related note, I laced everything with the "Staggerwing Stitch". Google it. Couple of great instructional videos. I tried the Stits thing and ended up, on the floor, tangled in knots... I was not a Boy Scout. The Staggerwing thing goes nicely and is easy, for me. Which means your cat can do it.

Bill

Comment

Great, thanks.

Comment

It is also desirable to rib stitch the ceiling fabric if you do not have a skylight. Mark

Comment

Greg, Dennis and I did not rib stitch the bottom vertical stab rib. So far after 14 hrs. everything is fine in that area. Doesn't seem to be a problem and looks a lot nicer without it. Another note about the poly spray, if your using it... I brushed that area thinking I was going to rib stitch it. It shows through the silver and the final base coat. The directions say poly spray s is not sandable, but it is to some extent. We also used the Staggerwing stitch. I have both stitches on various places mostly because I like to hand sew and the staggerwing is a lot faster and like Bill said, it is easier. ( But I still wouldn't let my cat do it. There is enough evidence of her on this plane as it is!! ) Don't forget to clean up the residue wax from your string. You might check out Wendy Pemberton's video of the staggerwing on you tube. D.

Comment

I need to stitch the ceiling fabric (Oratex). When I shrink it, it will want to pull out I think. I was thinking of putting a semi-rigid disk, 1 layer of kevlar and 1 of heavy CF, in the middle of the ceiling at the top. Stitch through that to the top of the cabin structure where the tubing forms the cluster. My thinking is that will keep the stitching from pulling at the fabric when I shrink the fabric.

I have an 8" disk I cut out of a cargo tube. Good Idea? I haven't stitched any fabric yet.

Comment

Stitch after you shrink. Use reinforcing tape

Comment

• svyolo
                svyolo commented
                Editing a comment
                The ceiling is concave. The fabric will pull farther away, and shrink too much I think. I think I would tear the fabric trying to cinchl it down to the tubes. I did shrink it a little to get rid of too much loose-ness but I kind of think shrinking

• N942VT
                N942VT commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe, I’m not as familiar with Oratex. I’ve done it with fabric, put a light shrink on it then stitch it up to the tubes.

• svyolo
                svyolo commented
                Editing a comment
                I have been cautioned about Oratex "pulling" on stitching, like on the bottom rib on the vertical fin.

I did the interior fabric in multiple pieces to avoid concave areas. Worked great and you don't have stitching from the interior showing on the outside.

Comment

• svyolo
                svyolo commented
                Editing a comment
                I didn't think of that. Sounds like a good idea.
            Working...
            X