Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum Fuselage Formers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Fuselage Formers

What's the preferred method for attaching the aluminum fuselage formers? There are pros and cons to both rivets and nutplates, I'm curious what others think.
    Dave B.
    Plane Grips Co.
    www.planegrips.com

I used stainless pull rivets, no need to ever remove for normal maintenance.

Comment

I agree with Jim. Use stainless pulled rivets. Mark

Comment

Huh, why stainless instead of steel or aluminum? I'm assuming 1/8" protruding head?
        Dave B.
        Plane Grips Co.
        www.planegrips.com

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
          Mark Goldberg commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe stainless is what Bob spec'd. Yes, small round head pulled rivets. Mark

• Archer39J
          Archer39J commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah, right on. Appreciate it Mark!

Dave;

Here is thread on bending stringers. I am posting it because missed this info, and used a different unsatisfactory method.
        Thought you guys might like to see how I have bent these aluminum extrusion stringers so they are happy to wrap a little to the bends required. Not very
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Archer39J
          Archer39J commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh cool, thanks for that!

• Flygirl1
          Flygirl1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Brooks, so what was your "different unsatisfactory method"? Probably the same as ours, but they're covered and working fine. Just wondering. ;-) Also, We used stainless steel rivets.
          Last edited by Flygirl1; 04-18-2018, 10:38 AM.

Don't know about the other folks, but I found that by starting at the tail, it was pretty easy to just fit the stringers into the U-shaped brackets, and clamp in place with C-clamps. The stringers bent pretty naturally to a nice, smooth curved shape. Then I drilled, de-burred, and riveted with stainless steel pull rivets, as Mark recommended.
        Jim Parker
        Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
        RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Originally posted by JimParker256
          Don't know about the other folks, but I found that by starting at the tail, it was pretty easy to just fit the stringers into the U-shaped brackets, and clamp in place with C-clamps. The stringers bent pretty naturally to a nice, smooth curved shape. Then I drilled, de-burred, and riveted with stainless steel pull rivets, as Mark recommended.
          That is what I did too. Is taking that stress out of the stringers by pre bending important?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonNicholson View Post

That is what I did too. Is taking that stress out of the stringers by pre bending important?
            I'm planning to. But I've not heard of it being an issue for our stringers, others may have more to say. Just better to not pre-stress components if you can avoid it, especially aluminum.
            Dave B.
            Plane Grips Co.
            www.planegrips.com

Comment

Donna asked about my unsatisfactory method.

The bottom formers were no problem. When I installed my side formers I did not try starting at the tail like Jim Parker. I was not aware of Mark G's method for bending the formers. Instead I started from the front and worked my way back.

The unmodified formers placed a significant amount of stress on one of the fuselage tubes when I fit into place. By fit, I mean I applied pressure to the stringer to force it into its "clip" and make a nice bend to form the fuselage contour. When I placed pressure on the former, the stringer (Which is really tough material...way stronger than needed...a mark of good quality) would spring into position, but not yield. It did not bend, and this put pressure on the fuselage tubing. I was not comfortable with this at one particular point. Stresses were just too high.

My fix was to remove some material from the former and bend the tubing by using a method I show in photos below. I got the former bent and fit into the clips nicely so I thought. But the shape that resulted from my method did not result in a nice rounded appearance. At every point where I 'shaped' (by drilling a stop hole, cutting into the inside edge of the former, and slightly bending the former at the place where I cut it.) the tubing it resulted in a bend, followed by a straight section of the former. So looking at it from the rear, I got a squarish look rather than a nice rounded shape that it should be. It just looked goofy, and I wasn't going to let it go.

So, I got some replacement stringers from Mark G. (Thanks to scratch Patrol builder Ed Welfred from my neck of the woods for transporting them) and will do them over.

TAKE AWAY for those quick build kit owners just starting: If have some doubt about a task, e-mail Mark G. instead of trying to figure it out on your own. Don't guess, and don't experiment at least until you have found out how Mark does it. I did not do that. I guessed.

You can see the squarish look in the stringer in this photo to the left of the top of the Cleco.
              IMG_3256.jpg

jpeg Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 2.52.47 PM.jpg

Brooks Cone
              Southeast Michigan
              Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

That's exactly how we made the top former bend for the removed skylight. I also have a couple of spots where removal of inside former material was necessary for a fuel line to pass through. As I stated before, doesn't seem to be a problem, as of 215 hours anyway.

Comment

Ok, unfortunately I'm still kind of confused about this so please bear with me. If I attach the aluminum fuselage formers (I'm not talking about the stringers) with protruding head stainless pop rivets, how then am I supposed to lay a scuff shield over the formers that make up the door sills? Won't the protruding heads look odd and possibly interfere with the cargo doors as well? If anyone can shoot a pic of what they've done I would really appreciate it.

I'm also wondering why stainless since it will possibly corrode both the aluminum and steel parts that it's securing? Where did Bob spec these?
                  Dave B.
                  Plane Grips Co.
                  www.planegrips.com

Comment

I countersunk the formers - problem solved.......

As for the corrosion worries, there are all sorts of places in the aircraft where materials are mixed. Provided there is no moisture, then there won't be corrosion

Comment

Originally posted by PaulSA View Post
                      I countersunk the formers - problem solved.......

As for the corrosion worries, there are all sorts of places in the aircraft where materials are mixed. Provided there is no moisture, then there won't be corrosion
                      Countersunk and used csk pop rivets? If I'm doing that I might as well just use solid rivets, which was the plan originally.

For corrosion, yeah that's right, but since I'm at it why not go ahead and use materials that aren't galvanically reactive?
                      Dave B.
                      Plane Grips Co.
                      www.planegrips.com

Comment

• PaulSA
                        PaulSA commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I used driven rivets in some places but found that there were a lot of places where it was either difficult to get a bucking bar on the back or that things like fuel pipes get in the way. In those places I used pulled C/S rivets.

The tabs are steel and the formers are aluminium so whatever rivets you use, you can't avoid some sort of dissimilar materials. I have primed the aluminium and smeared an anti-corrosive sealant on all the tabs where I have riveted AL to steel.

Steel or SS fasteners in Aluminum is fine. The other way, not so much

Comment

The round heads of SS pops do not protrude so much that they are a problem or are ugly. At least for me. Mark

Comment

Working...
                        X