Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turnbuckles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turnbuckles

Does anyone have experience using the newer MS clip-lock turnbuckles on a Bearhawk? (As opposed to the AN traditionally lock-wired turnbuckles)

If so, can they be purchased as a complete unit ? I’ll attach screenshots of the information I have.

I’m having trouble with the long vs short forks and cable ends. Specifically, if ordering the AN version, it appears that the barrels, forks and cable eyes can all be ordered in a long or short version, or as a complete long or short unit.
    But it looks like some of the MS counterparts can only be ordered in short version. Is it critical? I.e. Does it matter if I only order all short?

Any guidance on ordering would be appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

The short ones have the same load rating I believe. And weigh less. Mark

Comment

• Nev
      Nev commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mark.

Originally posted by Nev View Post
    Does anyone have experience using the newer MS clip-lock turnbuckles on a Bearhawk? (As opposed to the AN traditionally lock-wired turnbuckles)

If so, can they be purchased as a complete unit ? I’ll attach screenshots of the information I have.

I’m having trouble with the long vs short forks and cable ends. Specifically, if ordering the AN version, it appears that the barrels, forks and cable eyes can all be ordered in a long or short version, or as a complete long or short unit.
    But it looks like some of the MS counterparts can only be ordered in short version. Is it critical? I.e. Does it matter if I only order all short?

Any guidance on ordering would be appreciated.

I am using MS locking clip turnbuckles.

Recalling from memory.... The locking turnbuckles seem to be the same as the AN turnbuckles except they have a slot that allows a locking pin to be installed instead of locking with traditional safety wire. So, the user of this type of turnbuckle has a choice to secure the assemble with locking clips or safety wire.

The locking clip gets replaced every time its removed. I believe a locking clip will be easier to maintenain and assemble than safety wire. But my experience level is very low on this. At least I have a choice.

I never saw Locking Clip Turnbuckles sold as a complete unit like the standard AN turnbuckles. Ordering the prepackaged standard turnbuckles called out is easier. Assemling your own order for these is tedious. (Keep careful track of what is R and what is L handed threads)

I mostly used Aircraft Spruce and order individual parts to make up my locking turnbuckle assembly. I would not have done so If the cost of the separate parts were significantly higher then the traditional assembly. I had to study to get all the parts right. I also think I had to order some of the parts from another supplier than Spruce to make up the assembly. Maybe Wicks. So if you are using one supplier and not finding the parts you need, try some other places.

The Barrel Length choice (long/short) will drive the length (long/short) of the associated ends. For example, a long barrel should receive a long fork end while a short barrel should receive a short fork end. I used only the short barrel turnbuckles in my Patrol. My thinking was that the short barrels have been working for everyone and the longer barrel turnbuckles weight a tad bit more.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Ok this helps. Thanks.
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
      YouTube - Build and flying channel
      Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

I have used the locking clips on turnbuckles almost exclusively in commercial aircraft maintenance and greatly prefer them over using lockwire. When you start to assemble and tension your cables, I recommend making a mark on the outer end of the forks to identify where the slot is, this will help when you are ready to insert the locking clip.
        Last edited by carlpeterson; 12-31-2019, 07:15 AM.

Comment

I find I end up with safety wire on them anyways. You never seem to have spare clips when you need them.

If you use the Boeing method of safety wire on turnbuckles, it's very fast.

Comment

I googled boeing method safety wiring turnbuckles to no avail. Got a link for it?

Comment

Originally posted by marcusofcotton View Post
              I googled boeing method safety wiring turnbuckles to no avail. Got a link for it?
              That might be a bad way to term it, but the IA that lives accross from me that worked there, it's what he showed me and said what they used. It's basically the single wrap but with two wires, twisted.

It's not in 43.13, but it has less play than a few of the approved methods.
              20191006_161325.jpg
              Last edited by zkelley2; 12-31-2019, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X