Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overdue Update on Build 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdue Update on Build 2

Ok this is the second part.

I was also able to close up the holes around the landing gear struts by using left over baffle material. It's not perfect but if I go for perfect on everything this plane will never fly. Adding Pics of what I did.
    While doing this task I realized that my exhaust tunnel was not going to fit without cutting a hole for my gasolator in the tunnel panel. After some phone conversations I decided it was best to relocate it so I would only have a hole just big enough fir the drain. The gasolator was going to stick out about 1 1/16" and be right where the exhaust pipes dumped. Adding before and after pics.

What's next? I was trying to time my mags but found out that there is an issue with both mags. When I get those back and installed I will be putting the oil cooler and all controls on the engine, put the avionics panel in hang the prop and turn the plane in my shop and hang the wings to fit everything. Do my fuel flow test and my weights for my CG. After that I should be ready to pull the wings and take it to the airport and get my DAR.

Hope y'all like the update.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 7 photos.

Thanks for sharing.

You may find the gear oleo strut holes are a little tight. When the oleos extend during landing, they rotate upwards and outwards, this can cause them to interfere with the belly metal if the holes are tight fitting. The result it bent belly skin and/or lost paint off the struts.

Comment

• Sebastian
      Sebastian commented
      Editing a comment
      Battson
      Point taken. I'm wondering if when I hang the wings if that might give me a better idea about oleo sizing.

C J, you’re doing some really nice work!
    Good decision about gascolator relocation!
    When you get the wings hung and gas in the tanks, you can pull down on the wings, individually, to see the gear stroke and move.

Looking Great!

Bill

Comment

• Sebastian
      Sebastian commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the idea of pulling down on the wings to get an idea of gear stroke.

Thanks for sharing! It's always fun to see other's progress.

IMO your gascolator was better where it was. Now any water has to flow further uphill than before because of fuel line routing and you have a low spot where the water is going to collect. So unless you get a significant amount of water in the lines all of it will collect in the fuel valve and the low spot in the fuel line that is before the gascolator. If you do find water in your gascolator you'll know for sure there is more water in the fuel line where it dips and you can't sump it out.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

After some thought about Whee's post I felt that he had a really good observation and I decided to make a change to the tube routing. Here is before and after pics. I think this is one or the nice things about being on this forum and posting pics of what we are working on and the way we did the work.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

It appears from your photos that your fuel lines still have a low area out towards the gear legs before they come to the fuel valve.

Comment

As I write this, I cannot recall taking water out of the gascolator (ever), it has always been intercepted by the wing tanks.

Comment

• Sebastian
            Sebastian commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice to know.

Got a few more things worked on this weekend. Since my last post Batson was not the only person to comment on the tightness of my holes around the landing gear struts. So I have marked off in tape what I think the size is that people are recommending and am including some pics. Also put some key locks in, one on the pilot's door and one on the baggage door. No co-pilots door since you can only open it from the inside. I had a video of the lock working but wasn't smart enough to get it loaded. I'm all ears if someone can tell me how to do that.
          This gallery has 10 photos.

Comment

In the 2006 3rd quarter BearTracks is a drawing of the required clearance hole for the landing gear shocks. I made a formal dimensioned drawing of this which I could send you.

Comment

Spinningwrench
              That would be great to see that drawing.

Comment

I'll just keep my progress going under this topic for now.
                I've been trying to get slowed down to post some of what I've worked on since last posting. I had different comments about the size of the holes around the landing gear struts, both here and on the Bearhawk Builders FB Group.
                I reworked the hole sizing with the generous help from one to the members who sent me a measured drawing for the holes. When I finished mine are 2 3/4" x 6" and I used inner tube to seal the holes. I also made a form from wood to allow me to put some slack in the tube material to help with movement. If this is not big enough I guess I will just have to bend some metal to find out. I'm adding pictures.
                While the belly was open I decided to add a ty wire to my gascolator. Not sure if one has ever come loss but I didn't want to be the first.

Something else I am proud of is I got my E-Mag ignition in this past week. There is a unboxed picture of that also.

IMG_0136.JPG
                IMG_0141.JPGIMG_0143.JPGIMG_0144.JPGIMG_0150.JPGIMG_0142.JPGIMG_0140.JPGIMG_0148.JPGIMG_0147.JPGIMG_0138.JPGIMG_0149.JPG

Comment

Wait a minute! Hold everything! Is that a real live customer’s "6 cylinder Emag system!?"

Really nice work, CJ.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                  X